I changed a hydraulic hose on my 1963 John Deere 500 Industrial tractor/backhoe that I just bought and when I tried to start it to check for any leakage it would not start. At first is turned over but did not start, then it turned over slowly. We had a couple of cold days so I pulled the batteries to charge them but they were fully charged. It was running 2 days prior. I noticed the battery cables had some corrosion 2 were factory cabled & ends 2 had newer replaceable terminals so I cleaned everything tightened it all up and nothing. No click at all. This is my first backhoe and any information would be much appreciated. This is a 24 volt 2 battery set up.
Sounds like a poor wire connection at the starter motor solenoid S terminal or defective solenoid
If this is the old infamous JD 24v split load system, check every connection on every cable including the starter and anywhere else along the cables. Most of those systems were converted to 12v when the starter failed. Conversion requires a 12v starter, 12v alternator and rewiring parts of the electrical system
Diesel Dave thank you for this information. An embarrassing mistake on my part. This being my first 24 V electrical system I made a rookie mistake reconnecting the batteries. I did not hook them in series. Drove me crazy. Stay well, Joe Z
56wrench, thank you for this information. An embarrassing mistake on my part. This being my first 24 V electrical system I made a rookie mistake reconnecting the batteries. I did not hook them in series. Drove me crazy. Do you have information on how to convert to a 12 volt system, the benefits drawbacks? After changing a couple more hose this may be a future project. Stay well, Joe Z
I haven’t converted any for about 40 years. Look for an electrical diagram for a latest model 4020 ag tractor. I seem to temember the last ones made were 12v. You need a 12v starter, 12v alternator(55amp Delco with internal regulator) and reconfigure the batteries to parallel (12v). And then modify parts of the wiring harness. You might check with an ag dealer but it won’t be cheap
Thank you for getting back to me with this information.
Don't forget to change the light bulbs and work lamps or you'll remember the first time trying to work in the dark.