I first saw one of these a few years ago at an H.C.E.A show and i thought it was really neat. I was talking to one of my collector buddies earlier this year and the stik clam came up. he said he was familiar with the machine and the owner and he left it at that. A few weeks ago he called and asked if i would be interested in buying a running stik clam. :tong So, here is my rough but running, one of only 50 or so made and only a few surviving, 1965 POOR AND HOPELESS Stik-clam. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMN0EJQWpFA&feature=g-upl
Awesome find!
Looks in real nice shape Zero tail swing too
http://www.constructionequipment.com/ph-stik-clam Pretty sweet find, don't let her make you Poor and Homeless.
Neat machine!
Hi, I bought my P&H Stik-Clam in 1985 from the first owner (I am the second) to use on a project. I have used it and loaned it out a lot. Right now I am refurbishing it due to some broken parts. I hope to make it as close to original as possible. I have a lot of projects to use it on. I dug my foundation and back filled for our home twenty years ago. When P&H quit making them (only a TOTAL of 106 units) they sold all remaining interest to a person a few miles from me. I have some manuals and drawings. Unfortunately I never made video of it OPERATING, to put on you-tube. The Stik-Clam is truly unique and still can do things no other machines can do. (For example: it can dig a hole straight down to eleven feet, only 36 inches square without the top portion much bigger!) How much did you have to pay for your machine? I think they should be quite valuable as rare as they are.
If anybody needs parts, I saw one at an auction within the last year. I didn't stick around to see what it went for, but I'd bet I know where it is, if it it's not already at the port in China. Machine was mostly complete, not all original though. I believe it's L&M salvage, Richland Center WI, but that's a guess, they might not have got it, or they may have cut it up.
Thanks, I found out the whereabouts of that machine. I will try to get in contact with owner. I left my contact info with the salvage yard to pass on. Since only 106 units total were produced almost 50 years ago, (and they have some weaknesses that occur if not used right,) there probably are only a few around anymore. There are probably even less that have the matching special designed trailer sold with the machine in 1965. They sold as a package for just under $12,000.00. For the price you could buy a MUCH larger machine, which is the main reason why they were not popular. (I bought a 100 acre farm for $13,750.00 in 1963 for example.) For their price you could have had a Corvette AND a Cadillac and had enough left over to buy the gas to drive them for a year!! (Gas was 19.9 cents per gallon.) I have brochures and manuals for anyone that would be interested. I could upload a pdf. of the sales brochure if anyone is interested.
never saw one of these before, ugly but functionable I guess.Looks like a cross between a dragline/excavator. Thanks
That was some neat info Digger. Every now and then come across something from the past, its too bad it didn't catch on or continue. That's the fun part of ebay poking around looking at the old ads like dynahoe, hopto, drott ect...
This was probably the FIRST fully hydrolic MINI-EXCAVATOR ever offered commercially to the public. Most people thought bigger was better. It wasn't until the 1980's that the Mini-Excavator was recognized as really practical. They could go where big stuff could not, and minimize hand labor. Their design inspired the latest generation of machines and almost ALL copy the features they designed, without the use of computer aided design. I have copies of the engineering drawings. Those guys in the pre-computer age really did wonders!
i believe my stik clam is the one delmer saw in wisconsin. my buddy mike furguson found it and arranged for me to come get it. i would love ANY info on it because it has a few issues i need to sort out before the h.c.e.a. show in august.
I spoke with the man at L&M Salvage, Richland Center, WI This AM and left my contact info. He said someone named Kevin bought it from him. (Maybe you?) I'd be happy to share what I know or have. RON
ron, that would be me. i am the kevin that bought the stik clam. i cant wait to get it all sorted out. small world, huh?
Check with the man at L&M salvage for my contact info. I can work with you on whatever you need for your machine. RON
That looks like a nice little digger there. Too bad it was about a generation or so ahead of its time. Maybe we can get a video of it working?
I hope to get my machine up & running by summer. This time I will document it working with video. I hope to attach a pdf. document of the sales brochure. That describes the capabilities quite well.
this is turning out to be a very exciting post,:drinkup
Wow, I'm glad it wasn't reborn into a hyundai. L&M runs a nice operation, not too many of them left anymore. They're getting squeezed harder and harder.
I've been trying to upload the sales brochure attachment. It indicates uploading to 100% then it says it failed! Getting frustrated with stupid computers. (Maybe it is me that is stupid?) I will try to find another avenue to get it published. DIGGER RON
Never even heard of a stick clam before. Well ya learn something new every day.
I believe the restored unit belongs to Dave Geis of Seward, Nebraska. He restored one similar to this a few years ago and they are unique machines! Nice to see some were saved.
I have two PDF files of both sides of the original advertising brochure. They are just a bit less than 2.7 MB each, in size, and apparently too big to upload. Does anyone know how I can get them posted on the FORUM? RON
Could upload to photobucket or some place like that and link it . Sometime shrinking to fit the forum size you loose some detail but it has to be resized to 640 X 640
Thanks, I will try to use my new photo bucket account to share the picture I took of the brochure. HOPE IT WORKS. There are two links. http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y499/RonaldCass/8a85875a-e900-4a59-8080-f975a2035e5d_zps9a3950eb.jpg http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...7-1596-4dfd-9dd0-bbba27b24e77_zpsb171c106.jpg RON
Request for Stik-Clam information Could you please send me the brochure and any information about this. Thank you. John Brain
I have a Stik-Clam that I bought about a year ago and would appreciate it if you would send me the brochure and any information about this. Thank You. John Brain
I can send a copy if you give me your contact info. They can be viewed by going to the two links to photobucket. RON
I have A stik clam , and I;m looking for any information I can get on it . [email protected] Dan from Mi. P.U.
Where are you located? I am planning to travel to Grand Rapids, MI area soon. I would be happy to see your machine and provide you with some literature and manual information. I have been in a static state for a while, but plan to proceed soon to restore my machine. You can also check out the posting that has my bucket account shown with literature files. RON
Hey guys, I'm new to H.e.f. I saw the posts about the P&H s20 Stik clam. I'm curious how much they are worth?? I'm picking one up that has sat inside a barn out of the weather for about 35 years. Original receipt, owners/operator manual and original parts book. Its complete minus one drive motor. I'm a year late on the original trailer any help would be great! Thanks in advance!
Hi Caspertrucking, My Stik-Clam is still in limbo due to time/money issues. When I complete it I would not consider less than $40,000.00 to sell. I don't know what you are able to get yours for, but anything less than that would not be out of line. What is a 1965 Cadillac worth? The Stik-Clam sold for much more, and had by far, much smaller production numbers. Survival rate is unknown. By all means try to share some pictures. Where are you located? I'd love to see yours in person. Digger RON
There was one on ebay that didn't sell for $7500. What's novelty worth is what's someone willing to pay
Ok so I finally got my Stik clam dug out of a basement of a barn where it's been sitting( on concrete) for ???? I'm guessing 30-35 years. It is 99% complete just missing one hydro motor and the crowd cylinder. Digger Ron I'm located in Central WI. The machine had 1667 original hours on it so it's by no means worn out but will need to be restored as the hydraulic lines are all original and in need of replacement. If I can figure out how, I'll post some pictures of the rescue.
So you're in The Rapids, I'm real curious where that thing was sitting? And what are you planning to do with it? If you can find a pic of the original trailer to post, as long as it didn't get scrapped, it probably didn't get too far and it may turn up.
Delmer, yes I'm close to Wisconsin Rapids. Plans as of right now are to get it up and running and potentially restore it. I should have the engine running this weekend sometime, just waiting for the carb kit to come in.
There was a little unit like that at the Rock River Threshery at Edgerton, Wi. last labor day. Not sure if it was the exact same but the photos sure look like that one did.
Actually I saw a lot of small equipment in West Germany in the mid 70's. I was actually amazed at what they had and thought that it was pretty smart to have equipment that matched the job. Didn't start seeing small stuff in the US until some time in the 80's. Very cool little thing! Rick
This is an amazing machine for its time. Europeans and Asians saw the value of small machines before US. The Stik Clam has a few weaknesses that can be compensated for if you know ahead of time what will fail and why. Modern CADD can "test" the weaknesses before even making a part. The basic concept of the Stik Clam has not been improved by a lot. The backhoe configuration has some advantages but fails to be able to do a few things that the Stik Clam can do, and vice/versa. What a machine is worth is determined by 1.) what an owner is willing to sell for AND 2.) what someone is willing to pay. If an owner will not sell at any price, it cannot be bought. Sometimes that person can be induced to sell if offered enough, and if the person buying convinces the owner it will be cared for and appreciated. If you have to spend a LOT of money and effort to restore something the value to sell will be FAR LESS than what has been invested, even at a fairly high sales price. I am located at Helenville, WI, not interested in selling, but willing to help in any way anyone that is restoring their own Stik Clam. Also interested in seeing other people's machines.
My brother has his Stik-Clam listed in the auction we're having to clear out a lot of dad's old tractors. If anyone is nearby or interested, come to the auction. We are about 15-20 minutes south of Davenport, IA/Moline, IL area. Here is a link to the auction listing: http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/2705803.html
You're KILLING ME! I have to be out of town and it will be impossible to attend the auction. Looks like a very good machine as original non-restored. Hopefully there will be more than one person at the auction that appreciates this special machine so it gets a price it deserves. I would like it if there would be a "REGISTRY" of existing Stik-Clams, since only 106 were produced. RON
I've had a Stik Clam for a few years that I bought from Q-Ball in 2014. I completely took it apart for restoration pending the location of a good motor. After much searching I have finally found a motor for it. The machine I have originally came with a VG4D motor so the tin work would not fit. I'll pick the motor up on Sunday and go from there.
Anyone have a manual that would be willing to copy and sell me
I found and bought a stik-clam this summer. It was located about 10 miles east of Necedah, Wis. Got it running without too much trouble and walked it up on a trailer to bring home. Needs some TLC but most functions work. Might be for sale.
Send me a PM or email me please, [email protected]
I lost the contact info for cat10ken and Digger ron, if either of you see this, can you please email me. I've been working on my Stik-Clam and need some parts. I could definitely use blueprints, an operators manual, anything like that would be hugely helpful. Thanks!
Hi Since my last reply, I had to retire & downsize. I have moved to Ozark County in Southern Missouri. I am still working on restoring my Stik Clam. I have only one more item to complete before I can begin opperating it. The swivel "O" rings were disintegrated & as soon as I get the replacement "O" rings I will use it on our Daughter's "tiny" home. You can contact me at [email protected] I plan on making videos when I dig the 200 foot trench for water line & dig for a septic system. RON