Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1966 CAT 950 loader battery configuration

jay6ird · 2020-05-29 13:22

Pulled batteries out of it 8 years ago and now I do not remember how to wire them back. looks like it takes maybe 6 12volt under the seat. can anyone post a schematic or something? Thanks

Replies23
  1. #1oarwhat2020-05-30 08:50

    Usually the Cat loaders of the vintage were 24 volt. I'm not sure about the 950's. The old delco starters had a name tag on them that had 12 or 24 volts on it. Look around the machine at any electric motors, light bulbs, etc. to find the voltage .

  2. #2Nige2020-05-30 12:10

    A Serial Number would help narrow the field. Here's the electrical schematic for a 4-battery 24V circuit on an early 31K-prefix machine.

  3. #3John C.2020-05-30 14:06

    We always used 4D batteries. The common problems were always with the terminal connections so we limited the number by using two big batteries instead of four smaller ones. Those machines were 24 volt.

  4. #4Nige2020-05-30 14:19

    With today’s battery technology I wouldn’t have thought there would be too much of a problem using 2 x 12v batteries of a suitable physical size to fit in the box. It would require new battery hold-downs to be fabricated though.

  5. #5kshansen2020-05-30 14:29

    Another good place to look for voltage would be on one of the mounting flanges of the regulator. If you are going with the four six volt batteries like shown in Nige's picture I have edited on to help understand the wiring of the batteries a little easier. I color coded the terminals on the batteries. Red are the +(positive) terminals and Green are the -(negative) terminals.

  6. #6jay6ird2020-06-01 09:09

    ok I will check it out this week. thanks. this is a picture of the starter wiring -

  7. #7Nige2020-06-01 11:20

    Please remember that the electrical schematic in post #3 above is not guaranteed to be correct unless you supply the machine Serial Number.

  8. #8kshansen2020-06-01 11:38

    Yes I agree, did not intend to be saying that was the correct diagram! Sorry if I caused any confusion. Also one more idea of where to possibly find the voltage this machine would be look between the bolts holding the solenoid on the starter see the red circle in the picture cropped out of the one in post seven: Then again that will only for sure tell you the voltage of the solenoid! Who knows if the starter was the right one for the application, looks like the starter mount gasket is leaking! Also I would say that is not the original starter, solenoid is way too new a style for what I think that machine is!

  9. #9jay6ird2020-06-01 11:56

    SN= 90A1046

  10. #10kshansen2020-06-01 12:06

    Where did you find that S/N? Does not seem to show up on SIS, here is the first section of what I see on SIS. Could it be a "Grey Market" machine? Or is it just too old to show in SIS? Well I did a search and find that there are or were a few 90A machines that showed up in Richies Auction site. So not sure why SIS is not showing them to me! Maybe post a picture of the S/N tag?

  11. #11kshansen2020-06-01 12:25

    Well I thought I had found something when searching for a parts or service manuals and found this: but then when I look in SIS for the 58H prefix I get this reply: " Sorry, but there are no equipment configurations that match serial number prefix '58H' ." So it looks like SIS is not going to be of much help from my end! Did see this on ebay that might be worth getting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-Caterp...039854?hash=item5b705b0f6e:g:S20AAOSwCFBebWD7

  12. #12kshansen2020-06-01 12:33

    And then there is this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-Caterp...655027?hash=item4da6025ef3:g:B~wAAOSw~UdZ3n7F If planning on keeping and using the machine the two would be a good investment in my opinion! Would have been nice if SIS had the information but you deal with what Cat hands you! Also you can go to: https://catpublications.com/ And enter 90A in the search and you can buy the parts book for download for $115 and an Operation manual for download for $49

  13. #13jay6ird2020-06-01 13:11

    Where is the S/N tag located? I got the serial from the manual written in pencil..

  14. #14Nige2020-06-01 13:32

    Try the RH end of the dash panel (arrowed), or on the engine block. Too old would be my guess.

  15. #15jay6ird2020-06-01 14:29

    Thanks for all of the help.. got this off of the side-

  16. #16Nige2020-06-01 14:35

    So those two manuals linked above by ksh would be correct. The Parts Manual will also have the wiring schematic in it, it was not a separate document in those older machines.

  17. #17jay6ird2020-06-01 15:18

    Well I just want to get it out of this building and then sell it. Thank You for your help.

  18. #18kshansen2020-06-01 15:54

    Well any chance the original wires were left in the cab? I'm assuming the batteries were under the seat like many of that vintage. If battery box was not cleaned there should be some rust or dirt impressions on the bottom of the battery box to give an idea of the size and number of batteries that were in there. Take a picture showing the battery box and we might be able to make a good guess.

  19. #19jay6ird2020-06-02 10:43
  20. #20kshansen2020-06-02 11:28

    Well it's just a guess that from looking at those pictures I see at least two jumper wires so if they were all used on the original battery set up I would lean towards there were more than two batteries. If there were just two batteries it would only need to have one jumper. So if there were more than two then it would seem that it was originally wired with 4 six volt batteries to 24 volts. But I would still want to clean of things like the mounting for the solenoid, voltage regulator or the generator to see if I could find some mention of volts. Even like someone suggested remove some light bulbs to get a number off them that we could determine the volts from that. I know it's hard to see but if you look where that red arrow is pointing you can just make out this solenoid is marked 12V. I would say that 90% of the ones I ever worked on were marked. I don't think the tag on the starter from your machine still is legible but if it is probobly has an OR number on it and that would also help determine the voltage.

  21. #21DMiller2020-06-02 15:44

    Most that I saw in the Quarry were four Group Four 6V batteries in Series Parallel for 24V. Two 4Ds derived same end result.

  22. #22kshansen2020-06-02 17:35

    Wouldn't the four 6 volt batteries have to be all in a series to total 24 volts? I do agree that all the Cat loaders I ever worked on were 24 volts. I'm thinking the only Cat that I may have seen with a 12 volt system was something with a pony engine.

  23. #23DMiller2020-06-02 18:14

    Two in series for 12V, the two pair in parallel for 24. Edit: That was likely trucks, and yes parallel would still be 12v, but we did use 4 group fours.