Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1967 JD 4020

Mcrafty1 ยท 2024-05-07 05:55

Looking for a fair market value, Runs, moves powershift transmission shifts up and down through the gears in both forward and reverse. The back story, tractor was parked in a barn along with 3 others when the farming business went south in 2004 finally owner passed away and the boys ended up with this equipment the person I bought it from purchased the lot as the boys weren't farmers. The story is told that the engine was overhauled brought home and put away never to be used again until the current owner bought it, fuel injection pump was froze and needed rebuilt that's done and fixed, now it fires up well. Sheet metal is straight and complete paint is as expected on a 57 yo tractor. Open station, seat is good 8100 hrs. on the meter but the tach isn't functioning now so not sure about the time. Tires are about 30% to 40% left but no dry rot. The engine does have some blow-by but may need to be worked to loosen it up or, possibly need to come apart and be reworked. that part doesn't worry me, as I have a son that is a diesel mechanic so it could be a winter project if it comes to that. I'm not a farmer I just want the tractor to maintain my property now. Maybe after retirement I would use it to do some outside work but basically it would be my hobby machine. I'm no stranger to equipment but not some much with agriculture stuff.

Replies5
  1. #1stinky642024-05-07 18:48

    4020 diesel banger is a very desirable tractor for old greenies 'round these parts, gassers go for 5-7g's if in respectable condition, so depending on condition figure north of that. Some pics would probably get more educated responses.

  2. #2Shimmy12024-05-07 19:40

    Side console? Dual hydraulics? If so, could be a $20k tractor. If older, single hydraulics, no 3pt, might be $10k tractor. This should give you a range.

  3. #3Mcrafty12024-05-08 04:32

    To answer both replies: The tractor is a dash console, it does have the three point hitch it has only one remote but originally had two, one was removed to put on a sister machine OO had, the control lever is still there but I believe the under dash valve and piping are gone. I purchased the machine yesterday for $8,000.00 so I guess this is a moot thread, thanks for the input though. I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way. I'll get some pics and post them when I get a minute, dirt work is getting crazy as the weather improves here.

  4. #4stinky642024-05-08 09:53

    $8000 not so too bad, you mighta stole it (figuratively), can't wait for pics.

  5. #5terex herder2024-05-13 10:35

    Machinery Pete is the guy who spends his whole life chasing and documenting farm equipment prices. Check his website.