Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1967 Payloader, rear steer, Army H90, questions

shineginny ยท 2019-05-24 12:04

Im hoping someone can shed some information on a new (to me) but old army painted & numbered payloader. I looking for and operators manual if possible. Or any suggestions as it seems the bucket set up has been changed, it just doesnt look right but I could be wrong. Any help, answers would be appreciated. And lots of other little things That we were told about but dont know where to find on the machine. This Payloader also has auxilary hydraulic hoses to run other attachments? Thank you in advance for any information, or assistance I can get. Ginny

Replies31
  1. #1mitch5042019-05-24 12:21

    A Hough, maybe? Post a pic of the machine and any serial number tags On edit: do the arms come up by the cab and you sorta have to climb in the windows?

  2. #2shineginny2019-05-24 12:35

    I do think so, upon closer look at the tag. I am going to get much better photo of that. It is a pain to get into. I bearly fit an Im little. Lol I cant seem to find anything on it I do know its April /1967 made, and army # posted on battery door Any assisitance would ge GREAT!! Thanks Ginny

  3. #3kshansen2019-05-24 14:36

    Looks like a rear steer Hough with some homemade/aftermarket cab that has been converted to a forklift set up. What do you have in mind for this machine? A better picture straight on of that Army tag may help get some information.

  4. #4shineginny2019-05-24 15:22

    We are moving dirt, vehicles etc. So bucket & forks are whats needed. But the way either attach isnt safe by any means so I have to come up with something

  5. #5John C.2019-05-24 15:47

    It's a standard Hough with the modifications already noted above. It was used by the military as a material handler. The attachment is a pin on set up for the forks that are installed. It looks like they have added extra pin boss to the base attachment joints. A search of used equipment attachments on something like Google or Machinery Trader might be in order but it isn't likely you will find much. If you can afford something new you can try any bucket manufacturer.

  6. #6Tones2019-05-24 18:04

    I'm guessing that loader is a Hough 65B, the last series before the pivot steer came out. It looks to small for a H90. The cab isn't genuine, the door was 2 peace with the upper part sliding and the lower part hinged. There may be manufactures tags else where on the machine which could shine more light on what you have .

  7. #7shineginny2019-05-24 18:32

    We took off the door today a pain to get a hold of handle to get in but seems to mostly belong. In the process of figuring out the entire machine 1 section at a time. Trying to find some sort of manual for it. Here is the tag if you look closely 2nd row down left side it says MODEL H - 90 CM or GM SER. 27 MD -02441 the second smaller tag also state H-90 CM

  8. #8kshansen2019-05-24 21:56

    Try looking at the rear frame back of rear wheel, I thinking the left side(could be right side), near the top of the frame to see if there are any numbers stamped in there. That is where I would expect to find serial numbers on a Hough. Those tags with the philips screws may or may not original. Any idea what the engine is in it?

  9. #9Tones2019-05-25 03:44

    Well it looks like I'm wrong. The 65 only had 1 arm coming of the Z bar to the bucket not 2 like your loader has.

  10. #10shineginny2019-05-25 09:45

    6 cyl cummins

  11. #11kshansen2019-05-25 13:30

    Like the "high tech" wiring there! External fuel lines good old NH. Think I only worked on one of those rear steer Houghs, most of ours were the H-100 and H-120 and a couple H-400's then the more "modern" 560's before they became Dresser's. I have a manual on the engine if that is something you need info on.

  12. #12shineginny2019-05-25 21:19

    Knock on wood, not at the moment But I will remember that. Runs great. But not knowing whats what where n how some of the things are not connected as if extra or the "high tech" wiring that seems to be power the fuel pump. I'm all good. But I may need a copy down the line. Lol

  13. #13shineginny2019-05-26 09:25

    I know I already answered this, about engine manual however, maybe you can help me located oil filler and where to check it, transmission as well, oh important one hydraulic and what type it takes, I know what my older machine took. but this one is 20 yrs newer and diesel. Any help would be appreciated. thanks this group has been great.

  14. #14kshansen2019-05-28 14:01

    Well best guess with out being there to see the complete engine I would say look around on the engine for a large cap with a tee handle for the filler, maybe on the side opposite the fuel pump or on the valve-cover. The dipstick appears to be right in the picture below the air compressor and not that I look closer the oil filler cap is right next to the dipstick! As for transmission oil filler and dip stick I'd be looking for a pipe coming out of the side or front of the transmission case, might even be a dip-stick or sight gauge on the case. Believe those were always check with engine running at low idle. Transmission oil very possibly a Dexron ATF oil, if red that would be it. As for hydraulics I would need some better pictures of the machine showing various places, but the common thing for the larger Hough loaders of that age was to have the hydraulic tank mounted right behind the cab with a filler neck with a dip-stick attached to the cap. Filters were most common to be accessed by removing the top of the tank. Hydraulic oil most likely a good 10W hydraulic or AW46 oil. PS Where about in NY are you located I might have some idea of some places you could try finding information if it is anywhere I'm familiar with.

  15. #15DMiller2019-05-28 18:12

    Fill should be that cap right below the pump, just dawned on me that is a C series engine, a C175? Oil filter will be remote.

  16. #16shineginny2019-05-28 18:15

    t was Wow thank you that helps loads. I have of course attached photos, for hydraulics. (is it the big looks like 5 gal tank hanging on the side behind the battery box? I'm on the hunt for tires and or wheels for it 16.00 x 24 12 lug since there is the wrong size (smaller) on the drive wheel. Also a bucket someone cut off the bucket (clam type) and left the rest. So I have to chain the smaller bucket to the frame work left behind to do anything. Which is not fun. I noticed that while watching the video you posted with the tree. We chain forks on as well. We need it to work best that it can. We are 25 miles west of albany, where are you? if you dont mind my asking.

  17. #17DMiller2019-05-28 18:23

    That big greasy can behind the Hydraulics tank on the right side is the engine oil filter, Luberfiner, almost any parts house can get elements, will be a number on the old one and a seal ring TO BE REPLACED under the lid.

  18. #18shineginny2019-05-28 18:24

    H-90CM search me this is a learning experience for me at 60, more used to newer articulated loaders. But price was right, I'll get her figured out. Just tricky no manuals at all. Im getting there. She is all greased at least.

  19. #19DMiller2019-05-28 18:26

    Used to be Military Manuals site, maybe one of the others here can remember what that site name was, should be able to get copies from there.

  20. #20shineginny2019-05-28 18:27

    now I m confused I have a big greasy tank on what would be passenger side, and one as big behind the battery box which is what? please. there are pics above of either side.

  21. #21shineginny2019-05-28 18:34

    that would be great. are they really that different from a civilian issue machine?

  22. #22kshansen2019-05-28 19:12

    I'm guessing this might be the site DMiller was referring to: https://www.liberatedmanuals.com/ I tried looking there when this post was started but could not get any good results in my searches, perhaps with a better view of the Army tag there is a number there that will work in the search box!

  23. #23kshansen2019-05-28 19:45

    Trying to get things straight here! These two items with the red arrows appear to be the dipstick for engine oil and the engine oil filler cap. The item I put the red star on that is on the left side of the machine is the air filter housing for the engine. This black tank I put the red star on that is on the right side of the machine would be the hydraulic oil tank. Agree that it kind of looks like a Luberfiner filter but it is much bigger, I'd guess it is about 18 inch diameter or bigger. Luberfiner filter is what? about 10 inch diameter? I'm guessing if you post a picture of it showing the top there is a cap that unscrews by hand and a breather about two inches tall and maybe inch and half diameter, if it is the original type! Second look says someone replaced the breather with three pipe ells! Not the best idea! PS: if you click on the pictures they should zoom in bigger to see better!

  24. #24kshansen2019-05-28 19:58

    Just to show how that hydraulic tank looks like a Luberfiner but size is off here is a picture of the Luberfiner" As you can see the clamp looks similar but if you can read the tape measure it is only about 20 inches long and if you estimate the diameter from the tape measure the diameter is right close to 10 inches.

  25. #25shineginny2019-05-29 22:51

    well i have learned alot, i found most of the things mentioned here that I couldnt find, and i still learning about it. got the wheel n tire changed out. I think I found the oil filter but I cant upload it for some reason. anyway i think its on the same side as the starter more toward the rear near the water pump. I thank you all very much for the help., kshansen where abouts arre you located? I travel north every 6 weeks or so. Im going to be stoppi gat a few places I know that way looking for a bucket, this chain thing can be dangerous. Oh one thing Im confused about, its 4 wheel drive and can be shifted to 2 wheel. Havent tried that chnging to 2 wheel dont want to upset things, but being 3 speed is it ok or not to use 2nd gear in 4 wheel going fraom poimt a to b. just traveling no load. I hope that made sense. thanks agian.

  26. #26kshansen2019-05-30 10:17

    Just to avoid too much confusion, most people when talking about a loader will refer to the right and left side of the machine as you are sitting in the operators seat. The one exception is when talking about the motor. For the motor right and left would be as if you were standing at the flywheel end of the motor looking towards the fan end, there for the right side of the motor is on the left side of the engine. As for the 2 wheel drive 4 wheel drive I can't say much about that as all the loaders I have been around for 40+ years only had full time 4 wheel drive. I could imagine that if you were going to be traveling a long ways, say a mile or more, it might put less strain on the drive line to be in 2 wheel drive.

  27. #27shineginny2019-05-30 11:09

    Ok got it, sorry grey moment lol. The only issue we have now is it seems to click when making a tight turn or oversteering. Is tht somewhat normal? all the universals seem good. I was hopeing that giving it a good drease job would help but that click hasnt changed. h i got the photo to upload that big yellow thing is the oil filter?? on the right side of the motor. I know Im a pest, asking all these question but if dont know I have to ask someone. Arent you lucky?

  28. #28kshansen2019-05-30 11:36

    Not sure on what that "filter?" is. Can you follow the lines and see where they go. Hard to understand why they have it mounted like that, seems like what ever you do it is going to make a major mess if you remove the canister no way to easily drain out the oil unless there is a plug down low you can remove. Have to wonder also what that electrical box the lines seem to jump over, looks like it says Delco Remy on the cover. Wonder if when that item was installed they flipped the filter over and used the "U" shaped lines to hook it up? Any chance of a picture down between the frame and engine where the yellow arrow is pointing in the picture below? Seems like the engine oil filter could be there.

  29. #29DMiller2019-05-30 15:16

    Won't be anything down under the yellow arrow, Hough made a nasty job even nastier by installing a Cummins Cartridge type filter upside down on that starter side of the engine, GREAT Enganearing.

  30. #30kshansen2019-05-30 20:58

    Might help with some of the confusion if the original poster could reply with some of the information off that tag behind the fuel lines. Guess I had just assumed this was an H or NH engine, never thought it might be a C or J engine. That's one of the problems of trying to suggest things via email and a few close up pictures.

  31. #31shineginny2019-05-30 22:24

    I'll get pics of what I can tomorrow. Got tied up doing household stuff today, then it rained