Greetings everyone. I'm a new member on the forum. I recently purchased a one owner 1968 CASE 580 CK. The gentleman I purchased it from bought it new in 68. He's now is 81 and was finally ready to sell it go rather then letting it sit and deteriorate. It's a great running machine and so far I've been very pleased with it. This past weekend I gave her a bit of a facelift (pressure washing, sand blasting, new paint and a new seat). Waiting on the new decals that should arrive in the next day or so. I was putting her to work this morning and was wondering if theres a way to lock the backhoe in a "Travel" position? I haven't been able to find any information online about this. My initial thought is to just belt it in place with a couple of straps. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Here are a few before and after pics: Thanks, Tony
It came with two chains that run from the stab legs and hooks in the bracket on the underside of the boom. It will hold all three up, both stab legs and boom.
Thanks Sheepfoot. I thought something like that might be how it works for an older model like this.
I never knew that. My dad has 2 chains welded to the rear of the tractor and hooks on the boom to keep it up. I just always assumed it was something he made. To the OP, is that a factory ROPS? I think my dad's is a '68 or '69 but no ROPS.
I was wondering the same thing about the ROPS. I've confirmed the serial # is from 68.
Hey TonyNGA.....Im replying months late, but I wanted to compliment you on the paint job. I also have a 68 580CK identical to yours. I am also about to repaint, along with alot of other major work. Did you mix your own colors to get that great yellow hue? I also have the metal roll bar with the flat top like yours.....extremely solid. I was up on top sanding today, hoping to start some painting tomorrow. I have the backhoe off, which makes it much easier to clean and paint. Have you worked on the brakes yet? If you plan to do so, I posted alot of pics and tips on doing the brakes. I found it much easier to take the fenders and tires off for easy access. See ya. dwight
Hi Dwight, I actually went to Sherwin Williams and they used their farm implement yellow as a base and then did a custom color match to a sample I got of what I wanted. I used a $30 air sprayer from Home Depot and just chucked it after the job was done. I used a flat black engine paint from Tractor Supply on top. Used it for the muffler too. I havnet had to work on the brakes yet. They seem to be working well. I did replace the radiator. Took a little customization to make it fit but once it was in its running perfectly. Had a lot of fun working on it but happy it done! Good luck on your project! Best, Tony
Tony.....thanks for the quick reply. Again, great color you used, and shows you dont need a high-dollar sprayer to see great results. Hey, when you put in a new radiator, I am sure you had to remove the top engine hood. I need to take the hood off also, and it seems that I need to first remove the air filter assembly and the muffler. Then I imagine you have to take the grill off to get to the hood bolts. Do you have any good tricks to remove the hood? Curious.....how many hours are on your 580? Amazing to find one from the original owner like you did, and he probably did not use it for heavy construction use as most were. If you ever want to sell her, and if the shipping to Va. was not a deal-breaker, I would love to own her. See ya. dwight
Hey Dwight, You are correct. Air intake/filter comes off first by loosening up the clamp/band holding it in place. Muffler should come right off as well. Then just make the rounds removing all the bolts and the hood comes right off. I recommend you take pictures but its a no brainer to remove. Once you've taken it off once you'll be a pro. When paining one trick is to use aluminum foil to wrap all the hoses and connectors. Easy to wrap around and conform to the hose shapes and really easy to remove compared to tape. If you do need to replace the radiator at some point you have to come from underneath the chassis through two holes to unbolt the radiator. It can be a bit tricky since it's not immediately obvious that's with the holes are for. I had to use two ratchet extensions to reach the bolts through the hole. I fumbled around for a couple of hours before figuring that out. The hour meter stopped working at some point in the past so I have no idea how may real hours are on her. The engine was overhauled before I purchased it and most of the hydraulics were repacked. There are a few minor leaks but nothing thats a big deal. Overall she runs great and is perfect for what I need around my vacation property. I get locals stopping by all the time wanting to buy her but she's my baby now.... Best, Tony
Tony.......MANY thanks for sending those pictures.....gives me the inspiration I need to get thru this paint-job. Your special-mix "Yeller" is 100 times better than the original bright yellow....I will have to try to mix something close to yours. I love the golden horseshoe you painted.....did you end up mounting that to the front grill where the original Case Eagle was supposed to be? My eagle is long gone also, and that horseshoe is a great idea. Thanks for the radiator bolt, hood, and alminKneeun foil tips. While the hood is off, I want to remove the valve cover and make sure the oil galleries are not getting clogged. The oil pressure runs way up on 80, and I just want to be sure the oil flow is not blocked. You may want to check the bolts that mount the tractor mounting frame to the backhoe. I did another post showing the backhoe off, and all the bolts were getting loose. Not good trying to operate the backhoe with these bolts loose. Here she is before the restoration/repairs:
Hey Dwight, That picture looks like it could have been taken in my yard before the paint job except I have orange wheels! The horseshoe actually was mounted by the previous owner. He's lives about an hour away near Clemson SC. The horseshoe is "Clemson Tiger Orange". I'm a Georgia Bulldog fan but decided to keep the horseshoe as for a bit of extra luck. I got a quote for $1200 to paint it. I spent about $250 doing it myself. Pressure washing and sand blasting to get the grim off was the hardest part for sure. One weekend prep work and one weekend painting. My hat is off to you for taking your backhoe off. My manifold was rebuilt last year by the former owner so I'm hoping with the light use I give it it will last for a long long time before having to come off for maintenance reasons. Here's a few more pics...