I have a (so i was told) 1968 D6C SN74A1920 that needs to have the turbo rebuilt or replaced from what i have seen and researched is that it is a 9M-7738 replaced by 3S-3510 but i have been unable to find a rebuild kit for a 3S-3510 spoke to some one and they told me i could put a 4N-9618. if someone can point me in the right direction. Called CAT they can not find anything on the motor data only HYD info.
Nothing really conclusive comes up, apart from another couple of interchangeable Part Numbers. In addition to 9M-7738 & 3S-3510 add 8M-4266 & 3S-4259. No breakdown of any of those numbers anywhere. The best I can suggest is to get hold of a paper Parts Manual, or find someone who has access to one. The Cat Publication reference is UE034999. Here's a link to a used one on eBay
Can you expand a bit on the "so I was told" part please. No Serial Numbers anywhere.? Post photos of whatever plates there might be.
No data plate on the turbo at all
Based on that s/n the original turbo was a 3S3810 replaced by a 3S4259 according to the parts book.
Is there a breakdown of the turbo parts anywhere.? Maybe a cartridge which it sounds like the OP is looking for. However with no tag on the turbo confirming the Part Number maybe a complete replacement might be the best solution.
Both part numbers use a 3S4007 cartridge assembly
From another source it appears as though the 3S4259 Part Number could likely be a Borg-Warner 4MD-354 model turbocharger. The 3S4007 is quoted as a cartridge for the same model of turbo.
So I pulled the the old turbo off doubt it is repairable the back plate of the hot side is is missing some material not data plate or numbers at all on it
A cartridge isn't going to fix that...... No casting numbers on either the trubine or compressor housings.?
I have this. 74A948 Turbo was good when junked about 12 years ago. But someone screwing around left the bonnet off the air filter housing last time I was around it as you can see. Probably not much better than what you have by now. Not sure how long they made 74A, but im about sure this one is a 64' model.
Might be better than you think I think I might at least pull intake and exhaust elbow and take a look
Seems to me like the cartridge was almost new. If he is interested we could figure out the logistics of getting it to him. It's about 6 miles from my shop and I have stripped down my service truck since semi retirement, thats the biggest hurdle. Packing tools.... It was a beast in its day. But the roller frame had been broken so many times and bush welded back that it was so pigeon toed that with a new U/C the rails would run off on flat ground. Thats why the pads have been taken off. It had brand new servere service 22". I put them on a new set of rails for my D6D. The inner final drive covers had worn so thin at the bottom that oil was seeping through hairline cracks. My dad bought it circa 1970 with under 1,000 hours. Who knows how many meters it's tripped since then. Shame it got that far gone. Would have looked good shined up parked next to my 78A D4D!
nige OP would not have the tooling to O/haul torbo ,fitting the cartridge is the easy part
The Cartridge replacement is on back order the CAT did say that 3S4259 is not the right replacement there is only one in Miami, FL Cat quoted me 3700 and Turbo shop in Concord, NC 2600 same turbo found a guy that has a 10K SN but it is non turbo. Still waiting on parts manual to come in and sent a message to Shop Dweller
The same people who told you they had no information regarding the engine on your machine.? “Called CAT they cannot find anything on the motor data only HYD info.” Did you buy the parts Manual I posted the eBay link.?
Yes i did. should be here Thursdays; both Blanchard CATs in Rock Hill and Columbia both told me the same thing as far as what they could see, but only on the computer while i was in the office. So I am thankful for yalls help the Turbo shop in concord is the ones that looked between the two turbo PN and they said that it wasn't a direct replacement so they are trying to find a replacement.
@Old Magnet is the specialist on these older machines. If he quotes certain Part Numbers as being applicable then I would tend to believe him. Hopefully when your Parts Manual arrives it will confirm that.
oh I 100% believe yall just being transparent with yall. when it comes to this equipment i am not 100% but if it was a old Chinook i could do what yall do.
Checked my numbers again and I did misread, 3S3810 is actually 3S3510 and replaced by 3S4259. Cartridge is 3S4007. Can't trust these 84 year old eyeballs!!!!!
Hey friend, Im near Wilkesboro, NC if you want me to run see if I can find numbers on my old turbo. We aren't really far apart if you are talking about Rock Hill, SC.
Hey OM, Do you think we are compatible on turbos? Near 1,000 units apart. But our physical locations aren't far apart.
S/n 740948 uses a 9M7738 turbo and 1S2497 cartridge, whole unit replace by 3S4259 I show 9M7738 as a Schwitzer (Borg-Warner 4D-354) unit 3S2497 as a Schwitzer (Borg-Warner 4MD-354) unit