Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1969 Case 580CK

rasman57 ยท 2017-02-01 08:43

Case 580CK vintage.....Hydraulic question for the knowledgeable... Can I run the engine driven pump with the lift cylinders hoses disconnected (open) as long as I do NOT move the loader control valve and not spray fluid out of the open ports (no hoses) that control just the front loader? I have the loader and hoe off for a clutch job and other restoration work. I have the backhoe circuit looped with a qwik connect so it is not an issue but the hoses from the loader are not hooked up to the control valve and I have the tractor back together and the loader tanks on and want to start it and do some mechanical engine testing etc before adding the loader. three of the control valve ports are open (no hoses) but I thought perhaps since they are for the loader lift cylinders , they would not lose fluid unless I actually move the valves? I do not want to dead end the pump and sure would like to run the tractor. Again, the backhoe circuit is looped and closed. Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Billrog2017-02-01 15:55

    Since nobody's giving you good advice with more experience than I have I'd say you'll be fine because your not dead heading the pump it has a complete circuit. I take the loader of my small tractor all the time.

  2. #2Juskatla2017-02-01 17:51

    I'm in the same situation with my rebuild. As long as the backhoe hoses are looped back and the loader valves are in the centre position, you'll be fine. I have my loader off and the hoses open where they would connect to the steel tubes on the loader frame. A rag or plugs will keep the hose and tubes clean until you are ready to reconnect.

  3. #3rasman572017-02-01 22:51

    Thanks guys. It makes sense as the circuit should get pressure before the control handle operates the valves controlling the cylinders. Be helpful for my project if I can run the engine and then position the tractor for the loader install.