Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1970 case 350 with 188d. How to put on oilpan

Eric a1cnc · 2020-11-15 21:59

I got this dozer not too long ago with the engine in pieces. I put in new liners, rods and pistons. The oil pan was off when I got it. It has a stamped pan that I am 99% sure came off this machine. When I tried to put it on today It won't fit. Is there a trick to get it back on that i just didn't see? I thought maybe they had lifted the motor or something but I am sure none of the bolts I could find have been touched in a long time from all the mud and grease on them

Replies7
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2020-11-16 20:26

    You said it’s a stamped pan is it straight or does it have a sump. I have always found it’s easier to get an oil pan off than on. I just looked at pan on parts website you’ll just have to get you angel just right, the wider end goes towards the flywheel.

  2. #2Eric a1cnc2020-11-16 23:06

    Thanks for that, I went back out earlier today to see if I could get it up there. Turns out if you put the front end up just over the counterweight and then angle it just right it will go up. It is a lot easier to do it when you aren't fighting to keep the gasket from falling off in your face There is a different spacing on the 2 end bolts so it will only go on one way

  3. #3mks2020-11-17 08:19

    Fine copper wire can be used to hold the gasket on if you dont use some other sticky stuff to hold it on. Pull the wires out before tightening.

  4. #456wrench2020-11-17 11:22

    ---or pieces of string through several holes to hold the gasket to the pan and then cut and removed before tightening. when i was an apprentice, i got reamed out by the oldest guy in the shop for using gasket sealer. his approved method was the string. i used sealer because i didn't want it to leak. he did not agree with any sealer. in his words 'a good gasket doesn't need any goddamn sealer'. most of the pan gaskets and valve cover gaskets were cork-based back then and had to be replaced periodically. he did not want to be the next guy to take one of those apart after they had been installed with sealer.

  5. #5Eric a1cnc2020-11-20 13:10

    Well, I used permatex ultra black on it. First I put a thin layer on the oil pan, then put the gasket on and set it on my surface plate overnight to set up nice and flat. Next day i put a thin bead on the bottom of the block and torqued the bolts to 10ft-lb. It has set up a couple days now so hopefully it won't leak. I am not worried about cleaning the permatex off if it ever has to be done again

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2020-11-20 20:40

    Sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do to get the job done.

  7. #7mks2020-11-20 22:24

    Like me dad said buy them books **** in the covers.