1970’s 580C started to idle weird on cold start up. When I first start it does not want to idle up, takes a little bit to rev then when I leave off the throttle it dies. But after runs for a bit all is fine. Any ideas? Thanks
That's a gravity fed system..?? Could be a supply issue?? Change the fuel filters 1st. You could pull off the feed line & check the flow.. When was the last time u drained the fuel tank?? I think it has a drain valve on the bottom..
The filters have less than 1 hour on them and drained fuel tank tonight but there was not really anything nasty that came out.
Blow your lines out before you put it back together. hey, wait, is this problem new with the new filter? I had an old injection pump do something similar, not as extreme. That was a CAV pump that wouldn't idle, it was like the governor setting got changed, I think something got bent or wore. It would rev fine though, and the warm idle had dropped below spec. I turned the screw, or bent the lever because the screw was at risk of breaking before turning. Then it idled fine, cold or warm.
Yes the filters have less than hour on them.
Have you changed the fuel filters on this machine before?
See my last post
Is that replying to my question if the problem started with the new filters? If it did start with the new filter then you're sucking air. Double check the gasket for the filter. What kind of filter on that thing? Glass square or metal canister? metal canister with separate bottom bowl?
The machine doesn’t get used a lot, so I think it may did start after the filter change. Has two metal filters a primary & a secondary filter. Good idea on it could be sucking air. Thanks
I meant, Have you changed the filters on this machine EVER before this last time? As in, is this machine new to you or have you done this several times and just this time there is something wrong? Did you fill the filter with fuel and bleed them? Obviously you didn't fill the one that goes on upside down.
I have owned the machine for over 20 years and have changed the filters a few times. Last filters only had 40 hours on them. Machine does not see a lot of use. The filter set up on this is gravity feed and never have filled the bottom filter, just wait till it comes out of the top one and then close the bleeder valve. And yes just started with this filter change.
Is the gasket (o ring) #4 in place ? I had similar issues once and that o ring was inadvertantly missing.
Lol.. Gonna be a LONG TIME before u forget that one, eh Tinkerer?? I hate it when people tell me> I don't use it, so I don't change the filters.. Think of it like a roll of toilet paper.. just sitting there soaked in fuel.. ya know what happens when fuel starts moving thru it?? Just change the filters twice a year.. Another thing>> it has a filter screen on the regulator, under the inlet..{3/4" wrench} AND the return connector has a spring loaded check ball in it.. Ya might wanna check those 2 places for dirt & debris.??
Yes I checked the filter today and the o ring is not missing. Still has the same symptoms.
Okay thanks for the info will check them next.
It's not mandatory but I usually fill the bottom filter on mine if I have some clean fuel handy. If you got all the air you can out of the filters and it still isn't running right [and you took the above advice] you could loosen the tube nuts on the injector lines and crank it over for 10 seconds with the shutoff cable pushed in to further bleed the system. That's from the operators manual. You could probably crack one at a time with the engine running but that's not an osha approved maneuver.
Well finally got time today to check the screen in the pump and to me it didn’t appear to be very dirty. But anyhow I sprayed it well with brake kleen and put it back together. On start up it seemed to be running normal now. So thanks for all the help!