A friend was plowing snow with my Case 450 dozer. He said he heard a pop in the back end and a little while later maybe 40 or 50ft lost power to the left track. The dozer is at my cabin up in the mountains. I was in a hurry to get it up there after I bought it and didn't have time to cut relief holes in the pads so the pop could have been that. But if not what would cause the sudden lose of power to the left track. He towed it back to the cabin and it towed ok. Just checking if anyone else had this happen?
Here are a couple pictures of it
Are the brakes operational on this machine? If they are there could be an issue with the master cylinder on that side, creating pressure & neutralizing the drive - or a sticky neutralizing valve. Next thing I would do is drain the oils, particularly the LH final drive - & see what comes out. If the final dive is OK, drain the transmission oil & also check the suction screen for tell tales. Also, according to those pictures, the tracks are on backwards. That won't help keeping them clean either.
The Brakes are operational he said he unlocked them to steer it when they towed it back. I changed all the fluids and filters when I bought it 3years ago and it only has maybe 10 hrs. on it since . I won't be able to change any fluids till I figure out how to get it back to my shop in the spring. Was hoping it might be something I could check up there in all the snow about 4 ft. And I didn't notice the tracks where backward thanks for pointing that out feel kinda stupid for not noticing that. Thanks for the help
Broken axel?
If it is a broken axel do you think the snow build up because of no relief holes in pads would cause that ? That would explain why it made the pop noise then ran a little bit then quit maybe.
Don't think that would have caused it the older 450 did have a bit of a weak axle in then. Don't ask me how I know that though.
Sure wouldn't think pushing snow would break it if it wasn't because of the tight track from packing snow up
48 years of use.
Do you mind me asking what you paid for that 450?
3 years ago I paid $7000 for it because it had new undercarriage and low hrs.
Tracks on backwards wears yours bushes and sprocket teeth out a whole lot quicker, turn em the right way as soon as.Cheers
well as someone else said age and the cold does strange things to metal.
Good observation R.D. ! Running dozers in snow is hard enough on tracks when they are on the correct way. I can't tell from the photo if it is the grousers are on the chain backwards or if they are correct and the assembly is installed backwards.
I finally got a winch mounted on my equipment trail and went up Saturday to winch the 450 on and haul it back to my shop. When I fired it up to raise the blade and put it in gear and the left track moved just fine. Ended up driving it up on the trailer. Anyone know how it healed it's self just sitting there or is there something still broke. I didn't put a load against it but everything seems to work normal.
The ice that was binding the sprocket melted?
I thought that also but they towed it 1/8 mile back home and the left track rolled just fine and the brakes worked also.
Did you observe the track tension when it locked up? When you towed it, did you tow it forwards or backwards? If you changed direction, it could have unlocked it just enough to let it turn freely.
Declutch piston may have stuck for that track because of cold or it just wanted to.
That's what I was thinking