Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1971 DRMCO Champion 562D Help

71-562D-Guy · 2019-02-09 01:07

I just purchased a 1971 DRMCO Champion 562D grader for personal use on my farm and having a hard time finding any information, documentation, manuals. Hoping someone might be able to point me to where I might find a manual. Grader runs great, no leaks and everything works but needs some TLC. Thanks in advanced.

Replies12
  1. #1Welder Dave2019-02-09 02:17

    Contact Jade Equipment, if anybody would have manuals and such they would. http://www.jadeequipment.com/ http://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/CHAMPIOND562INFO.pdf

  2. #2Silveroddo2019-02-14 12:20

    Do a general search on ebay for manuals. looks like there's a CD version in Australia. On the older champions one thing I've had success with is breaking down the components like the motor or trans and getting separate books for them when I can't find the information in my manuals. I'm not familiar with that vintage of machine but from my experience when all else fails a good parts man can get all of your hydraulic seals through BAUM hydraulics if your capable of measuring and identifying them. I'm not sure about that specific machine but most of my champions share hydraulic cylinder kits and they can easily be obtained online once you narrow down the kit number. As was previously mentioned, Jade equipment if pretty much the authority of all things champion

  3. #371-562D-Guy2019-02-16 19:15

    Silverado, the challenge I’m having is identifying the engine. I’ve looked it over and can’t locate any data plate with model, HP, SN. Only thing in can see is a casting mark on the side of the case (see pic). Anyone have any ideas how to identify the engine another way?

  4. #4Welder Dave2019-02-16 19:21

    This should help. http://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/CHAMPIOND562INFO.pdf

  5. #5Silveroddo2019-02-16 19:28

    According to that its a cummins or a Detroit if it hasn't been repowered. See if you can find the machine serial number on the frame usually on the "passenger side" below the cab or somewhere in that region. Might be able to decode it from that, or see if you can find a filter number on it and back track it that way, or backup and take some pics of the entire motor

  6. #6Welder Dave2019-02-16 20:15

    I'd guess Cummins H-743C. https://autoline.info/-/sale/engine...43C160-DIESEL-NON-TURBO--18081316320608638600

  7. #7DIYDAVE2019-02-16 20:17

    A lot of times raised numbers on the motor are just casting numbers. Unless someone with a lot of experience, or knowledge of how to decipher them happens by, as Silveroddo says, find that plate, with some numbers stamped in it, and you stand a better chance at IDing it...

  8. #871-562D-Guy2019-02-16 20:44

    Here’s the unit SN information. I believe it’s the original engine. If anyone knows how to decode from this it’s much appreciate. I’ll post engine pictures when I can get a few. Also, based on Welder Dave’s pdf (thanks Dave) I’ve looked for detail for a Cummins H-743-C and can’t find any documentation (Shop manuals, parts books...) . Any hints?

  9. #9Bluox2019-02-16 22:09

    Look on the timing cover where the air compressor is bolted on ,should be a engine data plate. That motor appears to be a 51/8 " bore cummins a H743 .You need to find a H and NH series Cummins shop manual. Good luck Bob

  10. #10Welder Dave2019-02-16 22:28

    You said it's a 1971 so I think the 11-11-70 is the casting date which would indicate original engine. The H-743C looks to be a common grader engine as well. It certainly isn't a 4-71 as that would be much more obvious.

  11. #11petepilot2019-02-16 23:16

    the cam follower boxes in the pic are definatly cummins being a 71 yr mdl could well be a small cam nh 855 cu -likely a 240 hp

  12. #12Geordie2020-01-05 00:15

    It will be a H743 about 145 hp