Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1971 Ford 4500 backhoe won’t start :(

Keith Finley ยท 2014-10-14 02:47

I bought what I was told was a 1971 Ford 4500 backhoe. Have used it for almost 2 years with no major problems. I cranked it up a couple of months ago like normal, but after putting it in gear and moving about 50 ft, she died. This happened several times. It would idle fine, then die when I moved forward. I checked a couple of what I thought were obvious issues (I'm no diesel mechanic) and It seemed to be starving for fuel. Changed the fuel filter. Verified that I have fuel to the filter and past the filter. I'm very mechanically inclined, but know NOTHING about this machine, especially diesels! Any suggestions???? Please email me with the response....

Replies5
  1. #1Bulldog7772014-10-14 03:25

    Hi Keith, Did you get fuel up to the injectors?

  2. #2HardmanGT2014-10-14 13:40

    1)make sure the fuel valve off the tank is open 2)check for fuel flow out of the bleeder(s) on the fuel filter(s) 3)make sure the fuel shutoff is wide open 4)bleed fuel at the pump (small bolt near the ID plate) 5)crack the fuel lines at the injectors 6)crank the engine over until you get clear fuel (no bubbles) out of the injector lines and tighten down one injector at a time while cranking it should start and run, if not check the fuel return for flow. To check, take off the fuel tank cap and you should see a small hole. That is the port where extra fuel returns to the tank. If that line is not flowing, trace back the the line and fix the blockage or kink.

  3. #3Delmer2014-10-14 16:39

    The symptoms you describe (idling fine, die under load) could be a fuel blockage. The dirty way to test is to blow compressed air from the pump back to the tank and see if it runs under load for a while until it plugs again. If it's not starting now, you probably need to bleed air following HardmanGT's steps.

  4. #4hosspuller2014-10-14 20:30

    Sounds like my injection pump problem. The flex ring was coming apart. Does this machine have a stanadyne injection pump?

  5. #5HardmanGT2014-10-15 08:38

    should have a Lucas CAV