Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1971 ih 2010a

Greg in KY ยท 2011-03-21 09:46

I have a 1971 International Harvester 2010A dump truck. On the door tag is: Serial# 707211G430376 WB 136 Cert. Net HP 179 at 2600 RPM Cert. Net HP 199.3 at 3000 RPM I assume the engine (and the door) is original- could very well not be. I believe it has always had a white cab and yellow bed. It has KY DOT mudflaps To give you an idea of condition-I bought it 3 years ago at an auction for $1,200. It is a good ole , off road farm truck that ain't too pretty but works good the 5-6 times a year I use it. The motor is an inline 6 cyl with split/dual exhaust, red in color. The motor started easily and ran good until this year. Now it is a little sick. Anyway- Does anyone have the general specs for tuning this motor up? i.e. - point gap, spark plugs and gap, timing setting, how to adjust carburetor, etc. My internet search turned up nothing. Thanks, Greg

Replies4
  1. #1Greg in KY2011-03-22 16:24

    How about a good guess on the point gap, spark plugs and gap, timing setting, how to adjust carburetor, etc.? Thanks, Greg

  2. #2trucker12011-03-22 19:38

    Without seeing the motor, I'm just guessing it is probably a 501. Back in the day, the company I worked for had a fleet of them, all single axle tractors, hauling 48 foot refer trailers thru the mountains of new england. Looking back, I don't know how I ever survived those old winters, but I guess youth equaled stupid. Do a search for specs for the 501 engine and it should give you the specs you need. I do have an old manual around somewhere, if I find it I will post what you need. Also, I think the next smaller inline 6 was a 450? but I can't remember for sure. George

  3. #3trucker12011-03-22 19:59

    Found my book, looks like your engine is either a 406 or a 450. Both of those have a 2 barrel carb, the 501 used a 4 barrel carb. They list the plugs for both as Champion J6 plug, gap is .30. timing on both is 5degrees BTDC, you will have to get the number off the distributor for point gap,etc, but they only list two, different settings, 19 or 25 thou. Find a tag on the carb and I can give you the adjustments for it. George

  4. #4Greg in KY2011-03-24 11:56

    George, Thanks for the replies. I did not have a chance to get the info last night- we had some bad weather here. Tomorrow I have some minor surgery done so it will be a little while before my wife lets me climb around on the old binder. I have fun playing around with the truck on the farm but I bet about a week of 8 hr days in her would make me really appreciate a cold beer, or 2 or 12- and I don't even like beer. I can not find any info on www. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I really appreciate you. I spent a couple of weeks in Portland, Maine a few years back. Nice people and I like your alls coast a lot better than the Carolina's or Florida's. Thanks, Greg