Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1972 ford 4500 tlb split

sbybee ยท 2015-03-26 23:51

I bought the hoe cheap because of the trans issues and coaxed it along for a year or so and now it quit. Have a place that will rebuild it but no one wants to split it, so started in on it. I bought a book on ebay and its ok but erratic, with a lot of repetition and 5500 info. It shows an access plate for the flywheel/torque converter bolts but I don't have one. Another place has the assembly access through the steering column opening which I suppose is mine. I am attempting to split off the front axel and engine, leaving the loader and hoe on. Any advice or ideas appreciated. thanx steve

Replies6
  1. #1Sportsman7622015-03-28 12:43

    The 4500 is the industrial version of the ford 4000. I suspect you purchased the I&T manual for the backhoe. I would recommend buying the Jensales manual it is a reprint of the OEM manual. What is wrong with the tranny? Do you have to pull the entire transmission? If it is just the clutch then you can lift the loader all the way up (block the cylinders so the loader stays up) and then pull the axle, engine and clutch out the front. I just rebuild a Massey and found it easier to remove the loader frame and then pull everything out the front of the tractor.

  2. #2sheepfoot2015-03-29 13:27

    If it was me I would remove the hoe and set the bucket off the front before starting this project. Block the rear tires, place a jack under the trans housing, install some jack stands under the loader frames between the rear and front wheels, have loader frame raised and cylinder supports fixed, unhook what is needed for the split, wedge the axle sides on the front end, use a floor crane to slide the converter/engine/front end out and away. The converter should stay with the flywheel, just unbolt the trans tube to rear engine and roll it apart. Use care and stay safe while doing these steps rigging and adjusting all the different sections to keep it all in line. It's a good bit of work.

  3. #3sbybee2015-03-29 19:06

    I did just about that. Have some pics posted. When it was rebuilt they assembled it wrong and the flange on the converter and mating surface on pump damaged. That I can replace, my issue now is the pick up tube access. Do the clutches need to come out to see it? I had to overfill it to get it to move before and I don't know if the pick up tube is in place or does it even have one. Another one of those things not too clear in my book, no info or pic just a diagram. thanx steve

  4. #4sheepfoot2015-03-30 00:06

    Looks like you have a good start on it. You can go to the newholland na site, yellow for construction, and do the parts pic on line, type in the 4500, and go to the trans section. I have used joseph industries in the past for converters and charge pumps on fords, they have rebuilt several for me over the years. They will take your core if none in stock and rework it, and send it back (converter).

  5. #5sbybee2015-03-30 09:57

    Thanks for the info sheepfoot. Any ideas on the pickup tube/screen as in does the oil distribution plate and clutches need to come out?

  6. #6sbybee2015-04-01 10:06

    I answered my question, removing the oil distributor last night and there is a metal pickup tube and screen below the clutches. So I still can't understand the overfilling. But now I know.