Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1973 580b ck oil cooler troubles

Atheadus ยท 2017-01-13 10:51

I recently bought a 1973 case 580b ck with a hydraulic shuttle. turns out it had more problems than i was told so i'm trying to sort this all out. I'm a total newbie to heavy equipment so bear with me please. I've drained and replaced all of my filters and oil with the exception of the rear end. the radiator had a large mixture of hydraulic fluid and antifreeze in it whereas the transmission was low on fluid and what was in there was mixed with water. I've read a few of the forums and have tracked the issue down to being my oil cooler that is on the bottom of the radiator. I've seen several posts that say you can use an oil cooler bypass to fix the problem but i wasn't able to find any pictures of anyone who had done it or what the pressure ratings were. So here's my question. 1. Can the oil cooler be fixed/replaced or is it a solid piece of the radiator. 2. If a bypass cooler can be purchased and used can anyone point me to where I can find one and what kind of pressure ratings does it need to have. 3. Does anyone have any pictures of theirs after they fixed it. I know several of the forums said it's a tight squeeze when using a bypass cooler. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. I love this machine just having to put far more into it than was expected.

Replies3
  1. #1Juskatla2017-01-13 11:50

    I can't offer any advice about a bypass cooler, but when I had my 580CK radiator re cored, they tested the cooler and could have easily replaced it while the bottom tank was off the rad. You would need to determine how large a cooler you need and place it in front of the rad. A replacement radiator might be as cheap when all is said and done. Because of the pressure differences between the engine cooling system and the shuttle hydraulic system, a leak will likely transfer from the shuttle circuit at higher pressure in to the lower pressure engine coolant. That might save your shuttle, since anti freeze contamination in the oil would be a problem. Expect to continue to repair and replace stuff on these old machines, unless you are lucky enough to have one that was well looked after. There will still be things to replace and repair on a 45yr old machine. Lots of experienced guys on here should offer some advice as to how they would approach your issue.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2017-01-13 12:38

    Seeing your new, you probably didn't have access to all the 580 rebuild threads.. MOST everyone has found Dale Weis at TractorStuff at aol to be the go-to dude for answers & parts, new & used.. He's in Indiana and will answer ANY question you have on these.. 1800-428-8183 .. REAL Good Guy.. I'll betcha he has 1.. Tell him the pump guy sent ya..

  3. #3Atheadus2017-01-13 12:43

    Awesome. Thanks you very much. I'm starting to find a little more now. found out not everything on the forum displays on a phone or tablet. I'll give him a call though.