Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1973 Case 580B Power steering

DavePat · 2020-06-01 22:35

Hello, I have a 73 580b with some power steering issues... With the wheels up, they will turn by using the steering wheel. But you can stop them with your hand and move them either direction by hand also. Now if you do a sudden jerk of the steering wheel, and keep turning... It works normal. On the ground... they wont move unless you do the sudden jerk to one direction or the other.. Any ideas?

Replies10
  1. #1Vetech632020-06-02 03:26

    Sounds like when you jerk the steering wheel you are realigning the commutator in the steering orbital valve. There’s a good chance the orbital valve needs replaced.

  2. #2Mr580backhoe!2020-06-02 15:10

    Are the steering cylinders on the front axle leaking by chance?

  3. #3DavePat2020-06-05 17:40

    They are a little wet, but not dripping. A friend of mine thought it was air in them. But I just dont know.

  4. #4Mr580backhoe!2020-06-05 18:03

    I have a 580c i was having trouble with the steering I rebuilt the orbital steering valve replaced the pump and it still wouldn’t work both my cylinders were leaking some I replaced them and good as new. So I would suggest possibly rebuild them or replacing them. I found some NOS on ebay and got both of mine for $150 i think.

  5. #5csthompson122020-06-05 19:10

    Like mrbackhoe I had a 580c with similar problem... I replaced both steering cylinders and that fixed the problem. They weren’t leaking, but fluid was just bypassing through the piston seals.

  6. #6DavePat2020-06-06 13:30

    Thanks, I'll replace them, they do have a lot of play. What does NOS mean?

  7. #7Mr580backhoe!2020-06-06 14:11

    It means New Old Stock.

  8. #8DavePat2020-06-20 19:21

    Changed both cylinders and it works normal now. yeah!! $136 ea at All State AG Parts... it was cheaper to call them.

  9. #9digfaster580b2020-06-27 22:59

    Just went through the samething with my 580b. Piston seals bypassing internally, doesn't show up as an external leak

  10. #10franklin22020-07-01 14:53

    Saw a guy on youtube with this problem, it was one of the cylinders, the nut had backed off and the piston was free to move without being connected to the piston rod. He put the piston back on the rod and tightened the nut with a little locktite and it worked good as new.