http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3539899940.html
Wow impressive.
That truck has been for sale on a number of sites for awhile now. Saw a video of it running, sounds good, but I own a truck like this with a gas in it, they are loud inside with all metal dash, couldnt imagine driving that beast for a long time.
That is sweet ! …… too bad they never thought to include a pic of under the hood …… 390eric …. sounds like you know this ride pretty good ….. that 3208, was that the natural version or the turbo'd engine ??? …… and the video you mentioned that would be too cool to see and hear that as well …….. I own a 3208 natural in an '81 L-8000, as long as there is a battery and fuel in the 'ol girl it will fire up … even at -20 below ….. at first she sound miserable, popping and farting and smoking and ….LOL ….. but in a few mins she smooths out and is ready and willing to go to work … but in a pick-up wow ! ….. I have an F-250 (early) '76 hi-boy with the remote transfer case …. it currently has a fresh matching numbers '67 GT 390 in it (came out of a rusted out '67 Cyclone) but I think that's gonna be pulled and sold … was going to put a '70 Lincoln 460 in it (that is killing some grass in the back yard) …. but after seeing that it gives me other stupid ideas … LOL !! ….
Craft I saw the truck on the powerstrokenation for sale forum. Pretty sure its a na motor. I have a 66 hi-po 390 in my 75 highboy, looking to do a cummins swap tho. Want a diesel but I dont want a new truck payment and sick of not driving my highboy. It was my first truck when i was 16, wanna feel young and drive it everyday again.
……. that'll be a nice swap ….. at least u'll be able to get everything you need from fordcummins.com ….. are you looking to do it with a gen-1,2, or a 3rd gen engine ?? … i'm kinda partial to the 3rd myself after owning one now since '04. But doing a swap with the 3208 would be a neat project …… when i'm bobtailing around with the Louisville its like driving an automatic, you never really have to shift …LOL …. thanx i'm gonna see if I find the clip of it running …cheers
would love to do a second gen, but they are pricey to get. I like the simplicity of the first gen. Thinking just turn up the fuel a little and play with it a little. Would rather have it reliable than a real powerhouse. Would like to set it up with a nv4500 and a gear vendors overdrive/underdrive. lets see if this link works http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140317&highlight=1973+ford+f250 I was wrong about the video sorry about that, but I really thought I saw a video of this truck running on youtube. There are engine pics and get this, the ac is set up on it too, thats pretty cool.
Oh and I am guessing this truck was setup for sled pulling with that big bumper on the front, looks like the batteries are in there. Plus the hooks look like they might have been used for hanging more weight. Looks like it has the orginal 44 for the front axle judging by the low pinion, don't think it would last too long with all that torque.
That is my favorite body style Ford by far. I can't say I would put a 3208 in anything or an automatic of any sort but that 1st year dent side really looks sweet.:OMG I just can not get onto the Cummins bandwagon. If I were to put any diesel swap in, it would be a DT360. They are beefier than a Dodge/Cummins and better built. Back it with an RTO6610 and have a pickup that would pull a house down the interstate.
I hear you on the cummings thing, but think they are the best engine for a light duty truck. I have always been if you need a truck to pull a house, get a big enough truck to do it. I don't need a ton of power, rather have the mpg and still be able to drive a full size. If I needed a bigger truck I would get one. No sense in having all that power and just tearing the truck up. I mean its still a pickup truck, not a kenworth. Have the same feeling on shoe horning that 3208 into that highboy. It looks like it was built for sledpulling so somewhat understandable. But the rest of the drivetrain looks pretty stock, so what is the sense of all that power if you can get it to the ground without blowing up the axles or transfercase.
I agree you need some stout axles for that 3208. Weight would be a major concern for me. At least the bumper appears to be aluminum. I have seen plenty of D60's and Sterling rears hold up to 1000hp Cummins transplants so the possibility for good axles is there. Keep in mind the DT360 is the same cubic inch displacement as the 5.9 Cummins, only weighs about a 150lbs more, can make just as much if not more power and is dimensionally very similar. They have a wet sleeve design which the 6BT does not and will fit anywhere a 5.9 will. The Cummins is a great engine but I was never a 350 Chevy fan either. Both are way too popular.
Well I have known some guys to blow rear 60s up pretty quick with a very very mild cummins, thats my concern,but gotta get one first. Another thing with the 5.9 is transmissions, wouldnt mind have some truck tranny in there but it would get old after awhile, ill take a nice 5 sp for mine to shift all day. Speaking of the 350 and they are everywhere, I worked at a custom car/ street rod shop after high school doing body work and mechanical. Everything we built had 350s in them, all fords with chevys I hated it and couldn't change their minds. Needless to say I didn't work there long and the closed up not too long after that.
I'm not getting why he went to so much trouble swapping that thing in. The engine weighs nearly 1800lbs, makes 210-225 hp without a turbo and has less than 600 ftlbs of torque. A novelty item, sure, but I wouldn't buy a full size truck with one of those things in it! Every truck I worked around with a 3208 in it blew up. We had an Ottowa yard switcher at my job with one that went through engines annually if not more often.
I think the ad I saw this truck first in said the truck was done over ten years ago and has pretty much sat since. Belongto a ford forum about these trucks amazing what some people will put in these trucks just to be different or cause they have on lying around. Seen cadillac 500s, 472 oldsmobile rockets, guy was even talking anout a flathead. Why just becuase you have one doesn't mean its cheaper to put in a truck that it was never designed for or worth it. Some are better than stock some arent.