Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1974 D3

Livingstonexcavatingllc@g ยท 2023-04-14 22:01

I have a 1974 D3 dozer that has been sitting for about 20 years inside of my barn. I got it running but the thing will not move forwards or reverse. The dipstick that is on the bottom of picture is very low on fluid. About an inch below add mark when not running and barely on dipstick when running. Would that cause the issue? I need to call CAT to confirm what Fluids go in these gearboxes.

Replies7
  1. #11693TA2023-04-14 22:07

    Have you ensured the oil in the transmission/torque converter is full? This would be the first thing to check if it doesn't drop right into gear. Also make certain the oil cooler is not busted as in frozen over the winter months allowing oil to spew out.

  2. #2Livingstonexcavatingllc@g2023-04-14 22:12

    I dont have a service manual on this thing. I'd imagine you check the trans/Torque converter by one of the dipsticks under the seat? If so the dipstick that goes straight into the rear-end is full but the one that goes into the gear box on back of engine is very low.

  3. #3Tones2023-04-14 22:21

    That era machine would most likely use a SAE 10 transmission oil in the torque converter

  4. #4Nige2023-04-14 22:27

    Post a Serial Number. The oil type and how to check it shouldn't be too hard to find.

  5. #5Bluox2023-04-15 01:08

    That mechanism between the oil caps is the parking brake, make sure it's not on. The left and right pedals control the steering clutches pull the floor plate up and check the linkages. As far as oil goes any oil that meets TO-2 specs will work but if you get it to move you need to change oil, filters and screens. Bad Bob

  6. #6Livingstonexcavatingllc@g2023-04-15 12:40

    Okay thanks I will check into all of this! I plan to do a full service on it when its drivable

  7. #7Nige2023-04-15 12:57

    Maybe your best bet would be to get hold of a manual. It will cover all the basics of maintenance and fluid types, how to check levels, etc. The publication is SEBU6443 and you can download a copy within less than 5 minutes in pdf form from https://catpublications.com/ for $30.