Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1974 IH Fleetstar with Allison transmission

etd66ss · 2023-05-15 04:52

I am scrapping out a 1974 Fleetstar that has a CAT 3208 which threw a rod thruogh the side of the block many years ago. I bought the tandem axle dump truck for the dump body and hoist. I want to save the transmission for the future in case the manual transmission in my Ford L8000 ever gives out, it also has a CAT 3208. Can anyone help me identify what this Allison transmission is exactly?

Replies10
  1. #1cfherrman2023-05-15 07:14

    Probably a 653, might be a smaller one.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2023-05-15 08:10

    It matches with pictures of MT653s, all the bumps on the case in the same places and the bolt on back section.

  3. #3etd66ss2023-05-15 08:46

    So I was able to download a MT643, MT653DR brocure. It definitely does look like a 653DR 5 speed. When I clean it up I'll see if I can find a tag of somekind.

  4. #456wrench2023-05-15 08:47

    Ya MT653, mechanical shift pto. It would have been nice if it was a ‘hot shift pto’

  5. #556wrench2023-05-15 08:49

    It may even be an older MT650 if its original

  6. #6cfherrman2023-05-15 11:09

    Definitely a 5 speed and not a 4

  7. #7Birken Vogt2023-05-15 23:11

    The long bolted in section tells you it is a 5 speed. There were older ones that had 2 digit numbers instead of 3 but I can't remember the nomenclature any more. I am kind of surprised it is not one of those.

  8. #8cfherrman2023-05-16 07:35

    The only old one I can remember is the ht 70, which is a bigger trans that that, just a bit smaller than a 750

  9. #9grandpa2023-05-16 07:41

    Birken, your right in 1970 they used the MT 41.

  10. #10cfherrman2023-05-16 17:02

    My rig came with an off road trans, the manual valve body version of the ht 70, clbt 4460 in 1965