I am looking at this truck for relatively light duty service, mostly hauling a 13K excavator. Owner reports unknown mileage. He reports it was running well when parked 2 years ago. Now will not start. He wants $5K. How available might parts be for this old of a truck. How risky is it to buy this vintage of a truck for light service? Any thought appreciated.
Trucks differ from cars in that the engine, transmission, and rear ends, are whatever the purchaser ordered, not speced by year and model. So,... what engine, transmission, rears, brakes and suspension are in this truck? Unless you have something real weird, powertrain, brakes and suspension parts will be fairly easy to get, International specific (body and etc.) parts may be tougher. I certainly wouldn't give 5k for that truck unless I got it started and it ran and drove well, and was in overall good shape. Good luck, Mitch
I have allways liked that model and the price is not to bad. Do you know what engine it has? I would not be affraid of that truck at all if he can get it running and there are no major problems like a sign of a engine problem.
Yup, good looking Binder, for sure. Liked mentioned, you need to find what motor and why it won't run first. Most of the common running gear parts won't be too hard to find(motor/trans/rearends).
I did get some more info. It has the International DT466 engine and a Eaton Fuller Roadranger RT-613 transmission with 13 speeds. It also has lockers. Any thoughts? Thanks, dbs
I have never seen a 4300 with a dt466, That would not stop me from buying it but it could have been better. 13 speed is good, but do we know why it won't run? What kind of shape is the bed in and how are the tires, everything needs to be pretty good for it to be worth 5k. not saying that it is not but if it is average then i would say 3 to 4k would be about it.
What's the downside of the dt466 in this truck? Thanks, dbs
Freightrain, Why do you call this truck a "binder"? Thanks, dbs
binder is slang, since it is an International Harvester
International Harvester invented the corn binder and the name trickled down to the trucks. The DT466 is a great engine, I haven't seen it paired often with a 13 speed but it should work well. Its just not going to be a powerhouse but for what you say, occasional use it should serve you well. If the truck was running when parked it shouldn't take much to get it running again. I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel lost prime sitting for that time.
I've seen the dt466 paired with the old workin' 13's but never saw one in a 4300. Most of the 4200 & 4300's that I've ever seen were either 855 Cummins or more often Detroit 2 strokes. That said a buddy of mine has a tandem dump that's I think a s1900 or something like that that has a 466 w/a workin' 13 something like 250hp.
I don't see any big downside to the 466 at all, it is just not big on power. Around here there are alot of trucks with a dt466 and a 13 speed and they do fine just slower.
Briefly, what would be the procedure to fix an engine that had lost its prime? Would it be the same procedure that you go through if you had run the truck out of fuel ? Thanks for all the great feedback. I've worked around diesels somewhat but never in heavy trucks. dbs
Exactly, you have to get fuel up to the injection pump.