Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1976 Case 580B backhoe no reverse

2dogsunderatree ยท 2010-01-10 12:20

Last week I was using my backhoe. Seemed to be working fine then no reverse .It is a shuttle shift and foward is working fine.Just before this happened I thought I heard a noise like a hydraulic pump sucking like it was starved for fluid (might not be related but I did hear something) . The transmission pressure is normal and fluids are good.When I do go in reverse something spins but nothing happens.Linkage seems to be working properly going to valve on top of shuttle.Can anyone help.

Replies8
  1. #1Phil2010-01-11 07:12

    Might be a mechanical problem. I'm assuming your dash gauge shows good pressure in reverse too. If it were mine, this is the first thing I would check. There is a gear, that can come off the shaft, that is located directly underneath the shuttle assembly. Remove some floorboards to access the shuttle cover, located directly in front of the gearshift cover. Clean the area, remove the shuttle dipstick and the 4 bolts(one is a recessed socket head capscrew). Inside you will see your shuttle assembly, note if it has the band around the clutch drums, exactly the same unit as in the picture, if it has then it's a Rockwell. Look under the rear gear, there should be a smaller gear engaged to it. It will be submerged in oil, if you can't see, feel for it. If that doesn't work you may have to drain the oil in the rear shuttle compartment, it's the plug with the 1" head that is located directly underneath. My picture of the countershaft does not show the gear in question. Phil

  2. #22dogsunderatree2010-01-11 12:07

    If it is gear? If it is this gear .Is it possible to put it back on without splitting tractor or will it have to be split.Thank you very much for your help Phil.The colored pictures are great. I will take cover off first chance I get. Scott Watters New Brunswick Canada

  3. #3Phil2010-01-13 16:59

    Not sure, I have a friend who would know, if it comes to that. Sorry for the delay, my computer died again and I had to borrow one. Phil

  4. #42dogsunderatree2010-01-13 18:54

    Found needle bearing When draining Transmission Phil I found a needle bearing when draining transmission. I called local Case dealer and talked to there mechanic and he told me the only place it could be from is the gear you said it could be. I am having the hoe towed to a friends garage and he is going to split tractor for me.Any advice would be appreciated

  5. #5Phil2010-01-13 21:14

    Hmm, the gear I was referring to slides on a spline, but the countershaft bearings I'm not sure about. I think there is a similar bearing(s) in the shuttle unit itself. Anyway it sounds like you are going to get someone else to do the work. These were generally quite a robust unit, so it might be something simple. Have them check the pump pick-up screen while they are in there. It should be visible once the shuttle assembly has been slid out. Good luck, Phil

  6. #62dogsunderatree2010-01-17 13:20

    Tractor is apart now. The needle bearing on counter shaft went bad.I need to replace shaft and a couple of bearings .The housing needs to be repaired where needle bearings were. Does anyone know a good place where I could find a used countershaft.

  7. #7Phil2010-01-17 20:23

    2dogs, should be very easy to find one, never heard of one failing. Make sure you supply the machine serial # located on the steering column, or you can go to the Case site to get the actual part#. Here's a chap I use sometimes: [email protected] Another reputable source: http://www.fawcett.cc/ If they take the torque tube out to install a sleeve in the casting, have them replace the 2 seals at the base of the shuttle charge pump. Also the 3 metal sealing rings on the shuttle assembly mainshaft, should be inspected closely, since they are out. These rings seal right in the bore of the torque tube, and it can wear too. Change the shuttle filter located in a housing just in front of the radiator. Look at replacing your fan belt, since the hydraulic pump is now off. Cheers, Phil

  8. #82dogsunderatree2010-01-18 18:00

    My local dealer found a used shaft for $260 .It will be a week before it comes in.