Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1976 F-250 dump

billyboybill · 2024-02-05 18:17

Dumb question I'm sure but I'm new to this stuff, so I bought a 1976 f250 dumper, great ol truck, only problem I'm having is the hydraulic is weak and slow. I went to check the fluid level and it doesn't have a reservoir, I traces the lines back and they go straight to the pto. My questions are, how do I check/change/ add oil? Do I need a reservoir? Thanks

Replies14
  1. #1Tatersmt2024-02-05 18:38

    I have a 1970’s Dodge dump truck and it has a single hydraulic cylinder. The cylinder is also the reservoir for the hydraulic oil.

  2. #2Bumpsteer2024-02-05 23:24

    My pump is in the small hyd tank. Cyl is double acting so it acts as a tank. Got a pic? Ed

  3. #3RenoHuskerDu2024-02-06 10:44

    Can you post some pics?

  4. #4billyboybill2024-02-06 10:50

    Yessir I will this evening when I get home, thank you

  5. #5JaredV2024-02-06 11:09

    The reservoir might be built around the cylinder if it's something like 6 inches in diameter. Is there a plug/cap/vent somewhere on the top side of the cylinder?

  6. #6billyboybill2024-02-06 17:41
  7. #7billyboybill2024-02-06 17:44

    I think I might see a plug in the top, looks like a bolt. I'm gonna have to prop this thing up good so I can get under her lol

  8. #8billyboybill2024-02-06 17:47
  9. #9skyking12024-02-06 18:00

    Please keep a stuff in one thread. It's a lot less confusing.

  10. #10billyboybill2024-02-06 18:11

    Yeah that's my bad, Im new to this lol it's confusing the hell out of me too man

  11. #11skyking12024-02-06 18:19

    I figured it might!

  12. #12digger242j2024-02-06 19:45

    I merged the two threads, and left everything except the duplicate opening post. On edit: And sorry, I forgot our customary, Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums, billyboybill !

  13. #13JaredV2024-02-06 20:33

    That's probably it. The trick to filling it is not to fill it too full because you can't see the level and you're adding when the oil is at its lowest point. I just add a half quart at a time until the bed goes all the way up, then add a little more. If you get too much, it'll just push out the excess.

  14. #14billyboybill2024-02-07 09:29

    Thank yall!