Hi, I have just purchased an old KW and am looking for some steering parts. The truck has power steering and there is a ball joint type assembly that connects the power steering ram to the lower end of the pitman arm. I am looking for these parts, or the name of the manufacturer of the steering assist assembly, the parts are no longer available from Kenworth. the slop is between the parts highlighted in red and yellow. any information is appreciated, thank you.
That is the old Vickers Power Ram steering. It was great at lower speeds terrible at highway speed, you could turn the front wheels in two feet of mud with one finger on the wheel. Best thing to do is find a complete Ross power steering gear with mount and drag link. you should be able to find one in a yard. You will need the mounting bracket it incorporates the rear spring hanger also. Plus you will need to clearance the battery box so the pit-man arm doesn't make contact when steering hard to the right. Any bracket and steering gear from say 1973 to 1999 will work. Truck Shop
I ran a mid 70's Pete with the same setup... not good at all on the road.
that's good to know, thank you. it is a logging spec truck, so I guess the steering would be well suited to match the .529 gears soon as I get the truck home I will post some pictures. just to clarify, I change the steering box and lose the assist ram by changing over to a ross assembly?
what exactly is the issue on the highway?
What it has now is a manual steering gear with power assist. You will end up with a regular power steering gear box. You will have to change the hydraulic hoses from pump to gear and return hose. The problem of on highway use was when the assist got wear in the joints, it was pretty sloppy steering. I liken it to herding cat's. Truck Shop
The ram and the steering box were very high maintenance. The box and the valve on the ram had to be rebuilt frequently every 6 months to a year. The ram is welded together and was a throw away if it had internal leakage or the chrome rod was worn or damaged. No hydraulic shop would touch one. The Gemmer steering boxes were available with 3 ratios. 7 , 9 or 11 turns of the steering wheel from lock to lock. 9 was the most common. The Ross boxes are under 5 turns. Kenworth used to sell a conversion kit that included a frame bracket and drag link and 64 series Ross box. The pump had to be changed too. I installed lots of the kits in the 1980s. The drivers were very pleased with the improvement. When a truck with the old Vickers steering system came in the shop with a steering complaint I would give the drag link at the end near the ram a shove with my boot. About half of them the ram would come off the ball stud and drop towards the floor. I never had a problem talking the owner into the Ross conversion kit at that point. I would strongly recommend replacing the frame bracket and converting to a Ross or Sheppard steering gear. The later W900a had the steering box moved to the front of the frame rail. You should be able to use either bracket as long as nothing is in the way of the longer steering shaft. If you have the narrow rad and grill the front mount may not work. Terry
Thanks, I have been pulling wrenches for quite a while, but this is my first big truck.
Thank you, I have 550 miles get home today, then go about 300 miles to pick up the truck. At this point im thinking of taking a roll of haywire along to cobble some sort of safety. That joint is pretty sloppy.