Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1977 580B Case backhoe seems to have a lot of play

race24x · 2026-05-03 22:49

While operating the hoe part of the 580B it seems to move a lot floor rising and falling and a lot of wiggle while digging. How are these backhoes attached? Are there some bolts I can check. Some common issues maybe?

Replies4
  1. #1Tinkerer2026-05-04 09:05

    Is it the backhoe itself moving ? If it is, there are two tension rods on the rear of the tractor connected to the backhoe mounting pins. They are probably loose. There is big nut on each one of them.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2026-05-04 09:19

    Tinkerer is right. They are 1 1/2” nuts and are a bear to tighten. Also check for worn stabilizer pins and bushings. I had so much rocking in my hoe, it was aggravating. Only by having someone watch me while digging, was it determined to be the whole hoe, rocking on the stabilizers. Of course, there were no grease fittings on most pins and the pad pin, didn’t have any bushings. The legs got welded up and machined. Now, I can’t even rock the stabilizers while up, before I could move them 2” back and forth.

  3. #3race24x2026-05-04 10:26

    I see what you are saying. With the outriggers (stabilizers) down it could actually be moving on them. Any chance you have a pic or a diagram to show where the 1 1/2" nuts are? I know my stabilizers are worn pretty well, but the hoe part under your feet seems to move separate from the tractor or loader part quite a bit. Like there are some bolts loose or something that holds it on.

  4. #4HarleyHappy2026-05-05 10:19

    To the side of the swing pedals, I believe. Mine is an E and there are 2 holes in the floor, just for tightening these nuts. There is a warning sticker in the cab still, telling the operator to check them every 500 hours, I believe.