Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1977 Mack RD685

Komar ยท 2005-07-19 09:56

I just bought a nice 77 RD with a 237 motor and dont have a manual for it. I tried Mack, but they only go back ten years. Does anyone know if their is a web site with engine specs, fluid levels and filter numbers for this motor? Thanks Mark

Replies12
  1. #1kamerad472005-07-21 17:05

    good luck with the the truck!! But that motor is no big dog !!!

  2. #2cat3202005-07-21 20:40

    Hey i will second that .The engine has no power to it I drove one in a '70 DM

  3. #3BKrois2005-07-21 20:45

    I'd try ebay for the manuals. I obtained a few very inexpensive, just search for "mack manual" or "mack service". Some of the older editions go back to 1967.

  4. #4woberlin2005-07-21 22:29

    As stated, E-bay is your best bet. Do the search and try to find a Mack "Highway Vehicle Service Manual" for your year. It will have everything you need to know about the drivetrain and suspension for your truck, and can probably be bought for less than $25. Also, congrats on your truck, I think that you'll like it. I have an older Mack tandem dump with a 237 and a 5 speed. Sure, a little more horsepower would be nice, but I've had 20 tons on her and she did just fine.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2005-07-21 23:17

    I ran a 237 5 speed too. In its day it did a pretty good job, it just can't compare with today's megamotors.

  6. #6kamerad472005-07-22 15:36

    I know you can put 20 tons on it & it will run fine on flat ground come to some hills a you will creep!!!! that was the problem will mack in the 70's & 80's they biggest engine was a 300 plus if you wanted bigger it was cat or cummins!! Now there base motor is a 350!

  7. #7Komar2005-07-22 16:01

    Thanks for the input. I emailed Mack HQ and there are sending a manual out to me for free. As far as the motor goes, its not a 9 hour day, 6 day a week truck, it pulls my backhoe and runs loads as needed. I can tell just empty that it will struggle a little with a load, but getting the job done is what I am looking at. I prefer Macks and could not pass up this deal. Thanks :usa

  8. #8Steve Frazier2005-07-23 15:43

    I don't think you'll find a more reliable truck! I drove the one I spoke of for 2 years, 5 days a week in heavy construction. I broke down once in that time and it was minor, the clamp on the pressurized hose from the turbo blew off. A $2 hose clamp and I was back on my way. I drove it in 1980 and 81. Around here it did a pretty good job, not too many guys had the big motors in 10 wheelers. I wasn't the fastest guy on a hill, but I wasn't the slowest either!!! One company had a truck like that set up as a tractor pulling a dump trailer, now THAT was slow!!!! I saw it once trying to pull a mountain with a load on and it stalled, there wasn't enough power to get up the hill. They had to offload the truck so he could get up the hill.

  9. #9cat3202005-07-23 18:09

    Well if you got a good chassis and tranni then you can always swap out the motor for a biger one .

  10. #10Patriots882008-10-23 23:40

    ebay would be the best spot ...... and cheaper

  11. #11PSDF3502008-10-24 16:21

    Don't know how you can get cheaper than free.

  12. #12hammerdwn202008-10-24 17:29

    mark where are you in Nj? maybe ive seen you around Frank