Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1978 980B slow building air pressure

wheeliea4stroke ยท 2014-04-15 01:21

Hi guys, new to the site and happy to have found it. We have a ole cat 980B that is in fair condition. I run it through the spring, summer, fall months making topsoil. Its my baby & nobody likes to run it because they are spoiled with more modern loaders..lol Question, over the last year it takes a long time to build air pressure. If im in a hurry I push the rpms up to assist. I drain the tank often getting out water mist and tiny bit of oil in spray. I have checked for air leaks and am good there. Would like to take care of this before topsoil season kicks in..ideas? Thanks

Replies1
  1. #1oarwhat2014-04-15 07:53

    One of my 980b's had the same problem. Seemed as though there were no leaks. One day while it was running I found it. It was leaking between the compressor and the check valve at the top of the tank. When the engine is shut off the check valve holds the pressure and it doesn't leak. They also will leak at the brake valves when small pieces of rust from the steel lines get in there. That you will find when not running. I now have 3 980b's and they are my babies as well. Good luck Randy