Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1978 CAT D3 Issues to Look For?

Jose Alvarez · 2021-05-10 20:34

Looking at buying this older D3 as a project...anything particular I should be looking for in this year? Owner says it smokes blue a bit when cold and other obvious issues from years of use. Serial number is 79U3014, hours unknown. Also any idea on a fair price? Thanks in advance.

Replies5
  1. #1Aceofspades2021-05-10 21:35

    Tree fiddy. Seriously though, I wouldn't pay much (no idea what would be reasonable), but good luck with it. It would be cool to have a dozer.

  2. #2Old Magnet2021-05-10 22:14

    That's a 1976 model with 3204 engine with pre-combustion chambers. Steering problems are one of the most common issues. Might look into parts availability as I understand Cat support is not great for the early D3's.

  3. #3petepilot2021-05-10 22:30

    fair value 5 % above current scrap value

  4. #4Old Magnet2021-05-11 11:31

    Couple more items... I hear it's near impossible to find a replacement transmission control valve and they do wear out. The engine uses a two ring only piston so blow-bye is expected on a worn engine. Go to three ring version if you rebuild.

  5. #5Jose Alvarez2021-05-11 18:11

    Thanks Everyone! Let see what I can work out!