Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1978 jd 640 skidder transmission problem

HRP · 2024-09-02 13:29

Hi I just bought a 640 with a bad transmission. Skidder will move forward in 5th gear up and move in two reverse gears. When you try to shift into lower gears the shifter just seems to move freely no detent inbetween gears meaning it won’t click one two three four just moves freely when you get to 5th gear seems to click in like normal and machine moves same for 678 gear. Reverse clicks into 1st and one other gear not sure if it’s 2nd or 3rd reverse the shifter moves freely with no detent like on forward side till it clicks again then your out of room to move shift g lever. Thanks in advance any help would be so appreciated

Replies7
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-09-02 21:16

    Welcome to HEF HRP . I think will need to follow the control cables down to the linkages at the transmission control valve to see what the issue is. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/18671/referrer/navigation/pgId/3051821 . .

  2. #2HRP2024-09-03 08:22

    Thanks I did last night the forward netral reverse linkage seems good and tight the other cable that controls your gears is extremely loose were it hooks onto shift box shaft. Can I take the whole housing off in picture without having lots of springs and balls fall out not just the shift box on the end the whole control housing with shift box I don’t think I can get the piece of shaft without getting off machine

  3. #3Diesel Dave2024-09-03 10:18

    The manual I have says when removing the control valve assembly is “to remove the appropriate bolts“ Referring to the first parts screenshot below ,the appropriate bolts I would think are (4) of item # 20 as they are 6.0” or 6 1/4” long. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/18671/referrer/navigation/pgId/2666334 The second screenshot below shows the backside of the control valve assembly when removed.

  4. #4HRP2024-09-03 16:14

    Thanks I got the whole assembly out unbolted and out but could t get past steering piston so I’ll have to take that out and try again tmro. Also tried shifting into gear by hand when I got cable off but it did the same thing.. also seemed like it had 10 clicks not 8 so I think it’s something internal

  5. #5HRP2024-09-04 15:55

    Got assembly all apart on bench today everything seems to look good no scoring springs all looked good but two of the shifting valve springs are slightly shorter then the other two book says they should all be the same not sure if that could cause the issue

  6. #6Diesel Dave2024-09-04 20:26

    Did you see what was causing the lack of detent on the speed spool 1st thru 4th gears ? What was loose on the speed cable connection to the shift box ? . I can’t see 2 of the 4 shift valve springs being slightly shorter would create your issues.

  7. #7HRP2024-09-05 10:33

    The arm the shift cable attached to was extremely loose just got a new one and as far as detent seemed to be working better when moving by hand the shift spool looked good and ball and spring for detent was good to think it might have just been all the slop from everything honestly I don’t understand why I didn’t have better detent on handle.. I’m gonna put all back together with new gaskets today and try one more time shifting by hand but i think my problem may be deeper in the tranny