Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1978 V-555 Cummings fuel shut off solenoid issues

Clark668c ยท 2016-12-04 22:54

I have a 1978 Clark 668C with a "Triple Nickle"and the fuel shut off solenoid is leaking fuel. I removed it to see if I could locate a problem, hooked it up to a 12v 4D battery to see if it would function but it didn.t seem to work but I have no idea how its supposed to function.I reinstalled it and found it was leaking a lot of fuel where it all bolts together. I wonder if I can use form a gasket around the outer inside edges to stop the leak?Any help would be much appreciated

Replies11
  1. #1thepumpguysc2016-12-05 04:45

    I take it you haven't disassembled it yet?? It has a steel plate and a rubber oring or nylon oring.. that seal it.. Parts are redily available at a fuel shop or online. cheap.. Just be careful on the screws, they have been known to break..

  2. #2Clark668c2016-12-05 11:23

    when the solenoid is hooked to power is the metal stud in the center of it supposed to move? Not sure how its supposed to react to power?

  3. #3Ronsii2016-12-05 11:46

    Nothing moves.... the end with the wires has a coil inside that makes the center'stud' magnetic.... that affects the thin metal 'flexible' plate which does the on/off of fuel flow.

  4. #4Clark668c2016-12-10 10:52

    I put it all back together after cleaning it with brake cleaner and it is still dripping fuel from the fuel pump and I cant seem to find any other loose fittings that would make it suck air somewhere? I did install a 12 volt fuel pump between the engine and the fuel filters and was thinking it may have too much pressure causing it to leak? My neighbor said to put it in there because it wasn't getting ant fuel , it wouldn't start before I did this and it fired right up soon as I installed it but never stopped leaking? Wondering if I created more problems doing this? I'm a logger here on Haida Gwaii and doing clean up work salvaging wind blown trees and doing equipment pulls for small/big logging companies till my problems started. Thanks for the help

  5. #5Ronsii2016-12-10 12:00

    Can you identify exactly where it is leaking fuel on the solenoid? you could put a 'very small amount' of RTV around the perimeter of the bolt flange if it is the gasket leaking but if you put too much it will get squashed into the fuel cavity and cause problems... Hard to say about the fuel pump... without knowing it's specs.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2016-12-10 13:07

    Just replace the steel disc or try sanding it with FINE sandpaper.

  7. #7kshansen2016-12-10 14:22

    How about a picture with something pointing to the leaking spot? Pictures tell a lot more than "fuel dripping from pump". Those shut down solenoids are mounted with orings I would be worried about using any sealant that could cause a problem.

  8. #8Ronsii2016-12-10 14:32

    I have seen them with a very tiny crack in the disc so pumpguys suggestion to put a new disc in there would be a good idea without knowing just where it is leaking.

  9. #9thepumpguysc2016-12-10 16:21

    I have a complete rebuilt solenoid sitting on the shelf.. ordered but never picked up.. That doesn't help you tho.. sorry. The steel plates are like 5.00.. If you had a cummins place close by,, they would probably give you one.. {yeah right** Most cummins mechanics have them laying in their tool boxes by the handfuls.. I know in the fuel shop. I probably got 50.. You got any pump shops within driving distance??

  10. #10Clark668c2016-12-12 09:28

    I took the electric fuel pump off that I installed between the filters and the engine and it appears that its not leaking anymore. Maybe it was getting too much pressure(fuel) and causing it to leak. The engine is running without leaking fuel and stressing me out.Thanks for all the advice guys

  11. #11thepumpguysc2016-12-12 10:21

    DAM, what pressure were you running?? 25-50 psi?? It was probably holding the shut-off solenoid OPEN..?? You only needed a 5 psi pump.. to get the fuel from the tank to the inj. pump..