Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1979 550 John Deere steering problems

Cmac74 ยท 2016-07-02 18:54

I have a 1979 John Deere 550. The problem that I have with it is when I try to turn to the left in forward or reverse it stops moving, I then have to put it in neutral and back in either forward or reverse to get it to move. It works fine steering to the right. It seems like when I try to turn left that the clutch on the right stops pulling, but not all of the time. Any ideas on what might be going on with it. Thanks...

Replies3
  1. #1Grease Gun2016-07-04 16:23

    Hand lever or foot pedal steer? Either way, it's probably issues with linkage binding up. There are no grease fittings on the shaft that the linkage rotates on, and they can bind up if it sits a while. Left and right sides might be binding up together.

  2. #2Cmac742016-07-05 01:00

    Thanks, I'll give it a good look and see what I find... Thanks... I'll give it a look and see what I find...

  3. #3lantraxco2016-07-05 02:22

    Yeah, it's either the clutch linkage sticking or the right hand steering clutch is just worn out. It's pushing forty, bound to be some parts near end of life....