Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1979 case 580c fuel injector pump leaking into crankcase

Ricknot ยท 2017-02-20 20:45

Hi, new to the forum. Just bought this backhoe and it needs some TLC. The injector pump was leaking fuel from throttle shaft so I took it off and replaced those seals along with the drive shaft seals. Put it back together and crankcase filled up with fuel while purging injectors. Took pump off again and changed out seals, put pump back on, got engine running and all seemed fine. Next time I started engine, was warming up, and decided to check oil level, so shut off and checked oil level was way over and found fuel was getting back in crankcase. Not sure what's up. Is the fuel that contacts these seals pressurized or is it just static fuel? Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1xgiovannix122017-02-20 20:56

    did you feel any grooves in the pilot tube in the injection pump ?

  2. #2thepumpguysc2017-02-21 11:19

    The brass tube in the front, called a pilot tube is brass and gets grooves cut in it from dirty fuel on 1 side & dirty engine oil on the other. If you tried to put new seals on/in w/ grooves cut in the tube, they probably caught & rolled OR the groove is just to deep to seal. Which means the tube needs to be replaced.. The tube is epoxyed in and the height is critical.. Chances are, if the PT is gone, so isn't the "plastic" flex ring inside the pump.. SOME shops have a tool that will pull the PT out w/o tearing the pump apart.. Personally, I refuse to do it, because afew days later, the pump comes back for a flex ring failure.. the engine surges and runs away..and the customer tries to blame me.. even tho they were told upfront.. so I just flat out refuse to do it anymore.. Unless your going to try to do it yourself, your looking at a pump overhaul. Get me the #'s off the name plate on the pump & I'll get you the PT #..

  3. #3xgiovannix122017-02-21 15:58

    TPG does good work I sent him my pump I believe it was a year ago. I had the same issue and he rebuilt my pump for a great price. Thank you once again TPG

  4. #4Ricknot2017-02-21 16:22

    I was trying to get off cheap but maybe not so. I did look in the PT but really didn't notice anything wrong, but I am no expert. What is your price to do overhaul and your turn around time? I assume reading other posts on here that is what you do?

  5. #5xgiovannix122017-02-21 16:32

    I think he had mine done in a week with shipping we did ups ground

  6. #6thepumpguysc2017-02-21 18:09

    Rick seeing your new, I don't think you can use all the private msg. functions this forum has to offer.. You need 3 or more posts to access those functions, otherwise I would just PM you.. Just put, @ a o l dot com after my name to contact me direct.. I just takes a day or 2 to complete the job, depending on parts.. the REAL LAG is shipping.. I like the USPS 1 price box, its cheap & has a 2-3 day delivery AND they deliver on Saturdays.. which is a HUGE +.. Normally, if I get a pump on a Monday evening, you'll get it back on Saturday, just in time to put it on and work all day Sunday.. lol