Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1979 Clark C300-50LPG Front axle question

Harleyhoracio ยท 2024-01-29 10:56

I completely went through the front axle changing all seals, bearings and races and brake components. I'm at the point of reassembly and installing the outer drums (with the big gear on the inside). For some reason, I cant get the drum snugged up to the housing. Of course I have one side loaded up with 1.5lbs of grease to make things more fun. I tightened up the axle nut to the point it wont go anymore and I have 3/16" gap between the drum and the housing. I tore this down a few months back, so I dont recall the way it was seated, but 3/16" looks a little too far away for my liking. I rechecked my bearing races and the inner is just about flush with the drum body itself. The races are bottomed out as far as they will go. Installing the drum by itself without bearings installed, I get a gap of 1/16" or less. Can anyone tell me what the normal gap should be? Thanks!

Replies3
  1. #1Harleyhoracio2024-01-29 19:29

    Pics

  2. #2Mechanicsville8042024-01-30 07:32

    Did you match the new races with the old races? The new race looks a little tall to me, like it has 3/16" of stick out. In my experience the race usually sits flush or recessed.

  3. #3Harleyhoracio2024-01-30 12:21

    It's all Timken stuff, I didnt match it up because I just pulled the number off the old bearings and races. It may appear in the photos that there's 3/16" of the race protruding up from the hub, but its not.