I am a newbie to this forum and to backhoes. I have been looking for a smaller end loader and backhoe, but came across a 1980 Case 580c 2wd diesel through a friend. While this tractor is much larger than what I am looking for, the tractor runs and operates. I have driven it once but didn’t get to do a full test run due to something that came up while I was operating it that required me to leave, so I wasn’t able to check out everything I wanted. The tractor has only had 2 owners and the current owner is considering selling it and let me take a look. The owner said the brakes are crap and said the tractor is fine for working around level ground, but he wouldn’t take it out on the road until the brakes are fixed. The backhoe works although it was really difficult to get the backhoe boom back locked into place. Is that normal? It took me about 15 tries to pull it back and get locked into place and this seems odd, but since I have never used one, I wasn’t sure. The owner also said there has never been any issues with the engine or the transmission, just very minor things. He did say that in the winter, he has to use ether to start it, but never in the summer. The owner is a very honest person and I have known him for a long time, and I trust him when he talks about the issues with the tractor. The hour meter doesn’t work so I have no clue how many real hours on are it. The hand throttle doesn’t stay set, and the owner had a pair of vice grips to jerryrig it to stay. How much of an issue is that or how easily can that be fixed? Also, I talked to a friend who knows much more than me and says Case requires a specialty tool to do brake repairs on their older tractors, but he wasn’t sure if that was the case for the 1980 580C. He said the 3/4” wrench doesn’t work for Case, and very few people have this specialty tool anymore. Is this accurate? Can anyone share insight into this? He also said parts are really hard to come by and so he told me to stay away from Case and the older tractors. Does anyone have a rough estimate on how much it would cost to do a full brake overhaul? I haven’t made a decision yet, but wanted to see what others think. If anyone is willing to share anything or offer advice, please let me know. Thanks. I attached a picture of it. Mule76
poor brakes are common. If you hire the wrong person, it could cost way more than the machine is worth to do a complete brake job, one thing leads to another is the way it usually goes. If you do it yourself on the cheap, it will be cheap enough. If you're not comfortable fixing the throttle, I'd re evaluate if this is a suitable machine for your needs. There is nothing low maintenance about 40 year old equipment. Little fixes like that will happen every time you use it for the first year.
i had one good machine, their is a trick to over center lock, they all had bad brakes, dont need special tool. Make sure it has the drive shaft from shuttle to transmission.
Brakes like mentioned need no special tool and not a difficult job. The throttle must be oily clean up the friction washers ( no Lube ) and adjust the tension .
Welcome to HEF, Mule ! Nice looking machine. If the price is right buy it. Expect to put few dollars in it to get work worthy. Especially the brakes. You can use the front bucket to stop it until you are able to fix the brakes. You know the seller and trust him is awesome. Don't buy a service manual for it if you do buy it. We can make the manuals for it available for FREE !
Looks damn nice for the age, not too sure about the Extendahoe though? Joe H
Somebody had an extra decal...
Thanks so much to the people who replied, I appreciate it. I plan to try to make a decision this week and I want to test it out one more time. If anyone else has any other bits of info, let me know. Thanks again.
I have a 480c, the 580c smaller brother but basically the same machine. Parts are reasonable to buy on ebay, though I haven't bought any recently. I have rebuilt 5 or 6 of the hydraulic cylinders on mine, costs about $30 per cylinder if you do the work yourself. I have had two cylinders I had to take to a local shop and get the piston nut busted loose, those things are really tight. The brakes didn't work on mine when I got it, the fluid would leak out. When you filled the system then they would stick. The first thing I did was pull the floorboard out. It was a pain to do , but then I could see how everything worked and get to it easier. The sticking problem was mainly the parking brake system hanging up and needing lubrication. it was a lot of work trying to get it loosened up. The fluid was leaking from the wheel or slave cylinders. I honed them out and put new o-rings inside, but I recommend getting new wheel cylinders off ebay instead. If you decide to pull the brakes and check them, its a weird setup. First off, the brakes are not on the rear axles, they are on a stub shaft on each side sticking out of the transaxle. The brakes themselves are not what you think either, they are an assembly that rotates with steel balls and ramps, and the assembly is clamped by a band actuated by the slave cylinder. This is all much easier to work on with the floorboard out.
Thanks Franklin2. I appreciate your post. You provided great insight. I am trying to figure what is a reasonable price to pay for this machine. As mentioned, it needs new brakes, the hand throttle won’t stay set (he uses vice gripes to keep it set to the rpms he wants), there are multiple zerk fittings that are broken (which should be easy enough to fix, but how much damage is already caused??), most of the gauges don’t work, it looks like the exhaust pipe is facing the wrong direction, and it doesn’t start in the winter without ether (and these are the things I noticed or that he told me). He told me what he would sell it for, but I was curious if anyone was willing to share an estimate of what might be a good price to pay for it? Feel free to send me a personal message if you are willing to share. Thanks again. Mule76
Before covid, you might get lucky and buy one about like that for $5,000. At the height it probably would have brought $10,000 or so. I have no idea if prices are holding, climbing or dropping now. Everything you mentioned is assumed on something like this. The four in one loader bucket is a NICE option. And coming from a reputable seller is hard to put a price on.
My dad and i bought our 580c for 6k about 2 years before covid. according to a guy i know i was told i stole it for that price. But he didn't know all that was wrong with it.
I wouldn't worry too much about winter starts, a block heater will remedy that issue..It's a little colder in my neck of the woods and even at 5 degrees or so an hour with the block heater plugged in my beast starts right up without any ether..My only concern would be how many empty ether cans are in the cab and how readily they were emptied.
Thanks. I will have to store the backhoe outside as the boom is to tall for my extra garage. If I buy it I may consider one of the basic outdoor equipment shelters to at least keep the rain and snow off of it. I will ask how often it was used in the winter and about how much ether has been used. Delmer and Mike450136, thanks for your info on value.