Hi all, Noob here. Acquired a 1980 Ford 555 (pretty bare bones, no cab) from a neighbor a couple years ago and it had been running fine since. Parked it in late Nov 2012 and went to start it a couple weeks later and nothing, panel lights lit for a second and went out, won't come back on. Battery is fine- fairly new, there is power at the starter/ solenoid. Can't tell if it is in neutral as the fwd/ neutral/ rev lever seems to be bound up. Linkage looks fine but it won't shift even with rear wheels off the ground (they both spin freely, just in the opposite direction of the one you are pushing). Ground from battery to starter is intact and tight, even tried a new cable. Any thoughts? I'm thinking something electrical or possibly a faulty ignition switch. Appreciate any help, thanks! Oh, and does anyone know where I might find a wiring schematic for it?
neutral switch works with the gear shift lever not the forward/reverse lever hold swith key to start and move gear shift back and forth in neutral
i shouldda say move side to side
yes i have a wiring diagrams for the 555
Thanks jimg984, just double checked- the gear shift lever is in neutral, just tried moving from side to side and turning the key at different spots to no avail. Been beating my head against the wall on this one for a week now. I drove it last so I know it was running fine, father in law tried to start it shortly after a rainy stretch and nothing (other than panel lights coming on very briefly). I think something may have shorted but I just can't figure out what that is. Any chance you would be willing to share the wiring diagram? If I can ever get the thing to start again I would like to get all the lights hooked back up. Some previous owner had disconnected or severed a lot of the wiring to the lights/ fuel gauge etc. I would be extremely grateful if you could email me a copy- I'm at [email protected]
Sent wiring diagrams hope they help... Make sure your battery reads 12.5 volts or better.... Can jumper soleniod on starter to by pass switches.. If you do make sure in netural jumper===hot wire battery side of soleniod to small terminal on solenoid
Thanks so much, hope I can repay the favor. I'll try and hot wire her tomorrow; my best guess is the ignition switch died.
my 555A sometimes gives a problem in a wiring connector where it goes thru the firewall,,which is located behind the panel below the steering wheel,, other side of firewall is the fuel tank [tough to get hand between tank and firewall] lol loader frame will make it tough to jumper solenoid,,, best to use a tap type connector on wire going to small termiral use a wire long enough to reach hot post on battery
I wouldn't be too surprised if I was having the same problem, took that panel off a couple days ago and the connectors aren't in their best shape Saw what you were talking about with jumping the solenoid earlier when I took a quick peek- gonna be fun- and don't get me started on the fuel tank that has a slow leak (as of recently), but I suppose pulling that might make it easier to deal with some of the wiring! Thanks again!
Starting to narrow it down- found I have no power going into the back of the ign switch. Need to trace a couple of wires.
Sorry, I've been out with flu/ pneumonia for the last few weeks. Finally got her started- it was the power wire to the ignition switch. Will be pulling fuel tank to assess leak issue and will rewire then. Not sure what happened to the wire, but bypassing it got her to fire right up. Thanks for all the help/ diagrams, made it pretty easy to narrow down!