Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1982 Case 580D dipper extension wear

JohninAK ยท 2025-01-12 14:24

~ 3100 hours on this machine if the hour meter is right. Last year I rebuilt the swing tower, R&R hoses, etc. I just finished rebuilding the power shuttle. I am contemplating replacing the wear strips on the dipper extension while I still have a shop and time to do this. The book is a little vague on how thick they should be and I cannot find the info on line, part # D 55688. What remains of the stirps is about 1/4" thick, thinner near the end when fully extended. The gap between the strips and the dipper is between 7/16" and 9/16" depending on whether it is extended or not. The wear on the sides is between 1/8" and 3/16". The guide blocks need to replaced as well. Can anyone tell me how thick replacement wear strips might be? Or how much clearance is acceptable? I realize the end of the dipper has been repaired by a PO, I think the repair is OK, although it doesn't look that great I believe it is strong enough, it does make me wonder how that happened...? Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies0

No replies yet.