Recently got a 1982 Grove RT-522 with a 4-53 Detroit as a yard crane for some tanks I am restoring. The unit seems to run fine but has an outrigger issue that was noted in the sale. None of the out riggers or stabilizers are functional so I will have to track down the electrical issue going on with the directional switch and such. Does anyone have a set of PDF manuals for this machine or any insight on this machine? From what I can tell they are good machines and it seems well built.
I have a set for a 528 I think it is. Should be all but identical. I scrapped the crane so other than being a manual hoarder I don’t have a use for them.
Looking at pictures of them they have the same operating station and are almost the exact same crane so I am sure the commonality between them is VERY close. I sent you a private message.
I have a RT-522 that I got and the driveshaft had gotten ahold of the main harness underneath and ripped it completely out of the center rotor. It was sitting with the outriggers extended and to get it home I took a legth of extension cord and used it for a jumper wire to the solenoids in the center behind the front axle, and under the engine on the back stabilizer tube, I was able to easily operate them and get them retracted with a little trial and error. My issue is I can't get the cable to go out on the main boom, wince retracts it fine (after messing with it repeatedly I now have it all the way pulled in so I'm stuck) but it won't extend. Doesnt appear to have any electrical aspect to the brake or anything, anyone have any ideas on that?
Sound like a hoist brake issue. Are the hydraulics loading at all on hoist down??
Yes it loads up but wont release the brake, I'm not sure whats supposed to release it exactly. I wasn't sure if it automatically was supposed to with winch down pressure on the controls or it there was another way. Obviously the electrical system is inop on my crane but everything that's actually related to operating the crane itself seems to be manual controls not involving anything electrical.
The brake release pressure is piloted off the hoist down circuit. So, when you start hoist down the pressure also builds to release the brake.
Hmm, ok. I notice the small hose up on the winch, which i would assume is the hose that provides the pressure to release the brake, is fairly new. Crane had been sitting awhile, maybe its just stuck. Thanks for the info, much appreciated!