Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1982 International 3 Ton w/5.9 12 valve cummings & Eaton 6 Speed

James Sorochan · 2021-11-13 18:36

New truck to us. Hooked up my 34' Fleetneck tilt trailer that weighs over 8000lbs and went up north to Sylvan Lake, Alberta to pick up say 3 - 5 thousands pound load. Could do 110-120 kllometers no problem going up but coming back only 110 on the flat in high range. Had to drop down to mid-range on any hills. I have not driven the Eaton FS6306 X transmission before so that didn't help things. Found a guy looking to sell a 2001 Bluebird bus with the 8.3 cummings coupled with the Allison MD3060 automatic for $4500.00. I guess he was going to convert the school bus to a " Skoolie " but found out the body/frame was rusted out. It has 280,000 klm on it, ( 174,000 miles ). I wonder if it could be done? If not both engine and tranny at least the motor? Any thoughts? Thanks James

Replies8
  1. #1James Sorochan2021-11-13 20:28

    Just to elaborate more clearly. I am thinking of the possibility of taking the rear engine 8.3 cummings with the Allison tranny and put it into the International pictured above.

  2. #2_Weldman_2021-11-13 21:08

    It can be done, anything can be done with welding machine and some skill. Is it a drop in and go, nope going to have to shorten/lengthen drive line, re-align drive line to new height everything sits at, engine mounts are different, going have to swap wiring harness out which comes with it's own problems i.e. speedometer. I personally would mate the FS6306 to the 8.3L if it was my project, but all is said weak link will be rear axle and the front axle could be a 9k. There is a difference in the engine sizes by few hundred pounds in weight and length is 6" longer 3" taller. Still interested...

  3. #3James Sorochan2021-11-13 21:15

    Sure, I'm still interested. I have a mechanic friend that has done a few conversions and is willing to help. I think it may take some time to pull it off but time well spent in the end.

  4. #4Birken Vogt2021-11-13 21:22

    If it is like the rear drives around here, the transmission will be nothing like what you need.

  5. #5James Sorochan2021-11-13 21:26

    What’s the difference Birken?

  6. #6Truck Shop2021-11-13 21:43

    Just stick with the 6306. or to better use the torque range of the 8.3 install a RTO6610 with a .79 overdrive. Biggest complaint about the six speeds is the wide gear ratios.

  7. #7_Weldman_2021-11-13 21:52

    Especially in hills or mountain areas with lack of power the rig has, 2 speed splitter doesn't make it much better.

  8. #8Birken Vogt2021-11-13 22:26

    I was thinking it might be something transverse or weird but a quick image search seems to show bus transmissions are similar to regular transmissions just mounted backwards. In my experience, 3000 series six speed with an 8.3 and .65 overdrive ratio has been very satisfactory for everything from horsing around dirt roads to cruising 65 mph (I don't speed and that's as high as it goes here) provided it has the right gear ratio. 5.34 or 5.57.