Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1982 JCB 3D 1700B Lifter pump service parts

Retired747 · 2015-10-30 00:23

Greetings to all I have this machine that has been neglected for a long time but all it needs is a bit of TLC. So here we go: 1) I am looking for a service kit for the diesel lifter pump as it leaks from the underside breather hole, JCB can ONLY supply a complete pump for nearly $400!!! They are kidding right!? 2) I am also looking for some of the hydraulic jack seals (loader, backhoe and stabilizers) after market will work .. again JCB are EXPENSIVE!! 3) Shuttle box has developed the 'Drive in reverse ONLY... forward does not work.. any suggestions? All info will be greatly appreciated as this is going to be my 'Winter long project'!! Oh, yes... I live in Vancouver Canada but very close to US border! Thanks

Replies26
  1. #1joe--h2015-10-30 01:20

    If by lifter pump you mean a mechanical pump that pushes fuel to the injector pump, replace it with a small electrical pump. No real pressure required, these should work. http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/Facet_Fuel_Pumps Makes it easy to bleed the system too. Joe H

  2. #2hookedondiesel2015-10-30 05:53

    Should be easy to find a lift pump for that on ebay. Get the parts number needed, you most likely have a perkins engine, heres a link to some, see if you can find a match. Your hydraulic seals can also be found on ebay, just need the part numbers needed. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/perkins-fuel-pump

  3. #3Retired7472015-10-30 13:24

    Thank you all for the information... It looks like I may have found service kit on Ebay.... I thought of converting to electric fuel pump but that meant running a dedicated wiring system.... the only wiring left on this machine is a 'push-button' starter and battery to alternator cable for charging!! That's it!!....... The rest of the wiring looks like a rats nest and is all disconnected :Banghead

  4. #4Retired7472015-10-30 13:26

    BTW 'Hooked on diesel' you seem to be a font of information... any suggestions on the 'Shuttle box' issue?... or do I have to strip the whole thing down to find the problem?

  5. #5carogator2015-10-30 23:55

    Can you post the JCB pump number?

  6. #6hookedondiesel2015-10-31 07:57

    Don't know about your particular machine, but on mine there are two solenoids on top of the tranny. They are electrically controlled by a micro switch in the steering coulomb lever. Sometimes the micro switch will not get the full depression needed to engage the solenoid. If it was going fine before, it could be electrical.

  7. #7AussieChris2015-11-02 21:30

    I too have been recently introduced to the pricey world of JCB having just bought a second-hand 1CX. I have discovered a few of their dirty little secrets such as... 1. Only selling whole assemblies rather than the small parts that fail. For example, to replace a faulty aux thumb switch on the right joystick they expect you to buy, not just the joystick handle, but the entire joystick and pilot valve block for more than AUD$1400. 2. Keeping part numbers secret so you have to buy from the JCB dealer rather than searching online. Even if you pay the big $$$ for a genuine parts book, it doesn't give part numbers - just exploded views. You have to talk to the dealer and they look it up on their computer system. Once you buy the part, you have the number. Then you search it and find you could have got it for way cheaper. 3. Leaving out crucial information from the genuine service manual or marking the information illegible thus encouraging you to pay for their workshop services. 4. Non-standard fittings. For example, the hydraulic test ports are 5/8"-14 BSF (HSP) which nobody has heard of except JCB, I've had to replace them all with standard Test 20 ports. Plus the weird mix of metric and imperial bolt and fitting sizes will keep you buying spanners. 5. Ridiculous prices. For example, over AUD$3300 for an aux hydraulic pump which is around AUD$1200 for the identical brand and model pump from a non-JCB source. It's a very nice and capable machine but you need deep pockets to keep it running.

  8. #8hookedondiesel2015-11-03 05:34

    Thats strange, my parts book has all the part numbers, and I usually buy online at a much cheaper price. All construction machines are expensive in parts IMO. If you need a JCB part #, just supply the year and serial number of your machine here and I'm sure someone will help out.

  9. #9hookedondiesel2015-11-03 06:06

    Retired747, is this your pump...

  10. #10Retired7472015-11-03 21:48

    This model is TOTALLY non electronic...its an old machine... no there is no solenoid just a cable than changes over a valve flow within the shuttle box.. but thanks for the info. I think I will have to get very dirty and get under there and take it apart

  11. #11Retired7472015-11-03 21:55

    :laugh Oh yes... you are soooo right... Aussie Chris I have a slight water leak in the engine cooling radiator... I called JCB and expected to probably pay about C$500 for a new rad.... OOHHHH no ... they quoted C$3500... yes "THREE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!":Banghead

  12. #12Retired7472015-11-03 22:09

    Hi Hookedondiesel... It definitely looks like it.. I looked for a model number or make on the pump but found nothing.... It has a 6 screw hole diaphragm... having looked on google and ebay it could be a DELPHI pump ... I have seen lots of repair kits with 6 screw holes and was wondering if they have different diameters or if it is a standard size? The engine on which it is mounted is a 4/98NT which I understand is a British Leyland, now known as the Rover group as Leyland went bust

  13. #13Cmark2015-11-04 00:06

    Try you local tractor parts supply. Leyland also made agricultural tractors. Google a company called Sparex. They are trade supply only but they may be able to give you the name of a local distributor. Edit. Or a company called Bare Co. They have a presence in the USA and might ship to canada. http://www.bareco.com.au/files-leyland-leY9

  14. #14hookedondiesel2015-11-04 03:04

    Check out this link.... the JCB part number I used was 17/400300 on google "images". http://www.agrilineproducts.com/Cat...elItemID=ed931b7f-1165-44c5-9f73-a6095565a84e

  15. #15hookedondiesel2015-11-04 03:07

    Lets see a picture of the old girl.

  16. #16GregsHD2015-11-04 11:20

    They have used those fuel lift pumps on may british engines I've got a few kicking around. I'm assuming you're dealing through Wajax for JCB parts? I know a fella in Abbotsford who is a tractor wrecker and mechanic (if you've ever driven through on the #1 hwy i'm sure you've seen his yard of old tractors), he can get you any engine related parts, and possibly others through sparex and similar companies. I sent you a PM with his info. I find it funny however that you're complaining about expensive JCB parts and you go and buy JCB oil filters...:beatsme

  17. #17Retired7472015-11-04 12:13

    Ha..Ha..Ha.. the filter you see in the pics was given to me by the person I bought the machine off... otherwise there is nooooo way I would buy OE parts if I can find aftermarket. Thanks, I did get your PM re the Abbotsford contact and will contact him.. thanks again :drinkup BTW when I did an oil change on the machine I drained 7 GALS. of engine oil....yes 7 GALLONS .. slightly over the stipulated 2.4 Gl. its supposed to have!!! Just thought I would mention that..:Banghead

  18. #18GregsHD2015-11-04 13:01

    Haha! Makes sense now! Was the engine oil diluted with diesel fuel? Your lift pump could possibly be leaking into the sump ??

  19. #19Retired7472015-11-04 13:09

    Hi Cmark I have looked up the Bare-co US website and when I locate and click on a part it asks me to log in... but there is nothing to allow one to register of create an account... Any suggestions? Thanks

  20. #20Retired7472015-11-04 13:17

    No, I don't think so as the pump only started leaking externally the other day so I have not run engine for more than 5 minutes when diesel started to poor out of the underside of the pump..... also when I drained the oil (even after the engine was relatively warm) it came out like maple syrup!! It was so thick that i let it drain for over 1 day!! Don't you just love it when people really take care of their equipment!?

  21. #21Cmark2015-11-04 15:27

    Just phone them and ask who their nearest dealer is. BARE-Co SACRAMENTO 1755 Enterprise Boulevard WEST SACRAMENTO CA 95691 TEL: 1 888 348 2273 Toll Free

  22. #22Retired7472015-11-04 16:54

    Thanks I will give them a call :-D

  23. #23andymfell2015-11-04 19:32

    the Engine fitted to your 3D is the same as fitted to a Leyland or a Nuffield Tractor ebay trader mytractorparts has a complete pump listed http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LEYLAND-NUFF...00-98800043-/140675466020?hash=item20c0e94324 there is an online shop in the UK that offers shipping to Canada and the US http://www.agrilineproducts.com/Catalogue/NavigateProduct/8641-fuel-lift-pump?categoryId=jcb-3d £14.99 = C$ 31 plus shipping Sparex trade in Canada their HQ is in the UK http://v2.ca-en.sparex.com/ItemDetails/ItemDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=52622 you might be able to contact them to find out who is your nearest dealer

  24. #24Retired7472015-11-04 22:37

    Thanks andymfell for the info, I sent Agrilline an email to get shipping and availability ...just waiting for a reply. They seem to be the most realistically priced even with the exchange rate!

  25. #25ChubbyHubby2015-11-20 10:59

    OR you could use their UK retail partner: http://www.malpasonline.co.uk/ItemDetails/ItemDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=52622 $76USD including shipping to the US or $96 CAD including shipping to Canada. Sparex aftermarket stuff tends to be better quality than the other UK supplier.

  26. #26Retired7472015-11-20 12:12

    'One way' transmission So here we are 2 weeks later and I have my service kit for my lifter/transfer pump for a grand total of ..... C$40 shipped to my door from a company in the UK, rather than a $400 unit as quoted by JCB Canada!! I Installed it 2 days ago and the engine is running like a dream! :drinkup But... I still have the problem with the shuttle box... the machine will drive backwards when reverse is selected but when i select forward... the machine does not move. The previous owner replaced the torque converter and a shaft that had disintegrated and (apparently) when it was all put back together the transmission worked well in both directions.. for about 15 minutes!! then it only worked in reverse. The selector is a totally mechanical unit with no relay's or any form of electrical asssitance. I don't particularly want to strip the trannie down as it is a BIG unit... does anyone out there know is there is a way of doing a 'Transmission Flush' hoping that the problem is no more than some crap that is caught up and a flush could free it up? HELP! :Banghead