Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1982 Jd310 d backhoe/ no power forward, no neutral

Nowayout1982 ยท 2024-05-06 09:38

My jd310d backhoe will only go forward with minimal power. It does not have enough power to go uphill or push the loader into a pile of dirt. When I'm in gear and I put the handle on the colum into natural position or reverse it still wants to go forward. If I put it into reverse and hold the brakes tight and give it a little gas it will eventually go backwards. When moving backwards it has more power to move itself uphill. I have changed out both vertical and horizontal filters. Where do I start?

Replies9
  1. #1mg23612024-05-07 04:45

    Welcome to HEF Nowayout ! Is the reverser oil level correct? Many owner/operators don't know it is checked with the engine idling.

  2. #2Nowayout19822024-05-07 06:27

    Mg2361, thanks. Reverser oil? Are you referring to the hydrolic fluid that has a dipstick between my feet when sitting inside the machine?

  3. #3Nowayout19822024-05-07 11:04

    I just seen I may have put the wrong year in for my jd310d. It is a 1972 not 82.

  4. #4mg23612024-05-07 12:03

    Years don't matter. Machine serial numbers do. Please post it. You do have a "D" correct? Look like this?

  5. #5Nowayout19822024-05-07 13:12
  6. #6Nowayout19822024-05-07 13:14

    Yes it is a 310 D backhoe.

  7. #7mg23612024-05-08 04:57

    Nope. The picture I attached above is a 310D. You have a 310, 310A or a 310B, depending on the serial number. Oil level is the stick between your feet. Checked with the engine off. Look at the shaft that runs from the clutch pedal to the transmission control valve (it is under the bell housing). There is a roll pin that connects the shaft to the control valve. See if that is worn out or it may have partially fallen out.

  8. #8rich82airborne2024-09-20 08:08

    same machine mine is a 310 A 1982 but something on mine in the bell housing where the clutch rod goes in let go do i need to split it? to look in the bell housing or is an an access somewhere i can peak in through? please ty

  9. #9mg23612024-09-20 12:01

    Need to split it.