https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=16720&acctid=1055
What a beast !
One expensive engine to repair, but for the right price a repower.
But it's got no time on the clock, hell, I'll bet the rings haven't even seated yet.
Oddly enough I thought about posting this as well. Heavy specs for sure.
That's true but those old gaskets and liner seals I would bet after a short time would start to weep. It would be worth resealing it. KT's were not best for head gasket issues.
Yeah... a 12V92.
Makes my back and kidney's hurt just looking at it!...
What is that rear suspension? The axle configuration looks like Mack, but I've never seen where the springs sit 'on' the axle. I first thought Hendrickson, then thought Camelback, now. I don't know what to think. Anybody got any nuggets of knowledge to share on this?
Kenworth had there version of it called Big Six and Hendrickson had basically the same design. With out a better side view it's hard to tell for sure.
The "It ran at one time but we think it has a bad fuel pump. Runs on ethe." comment makes me want to run a mile...…...
You just set several cases in the passengers seat and give it a shot every few seconds, Rings? what about piston rings?
Real similar in spec to the C500 I had. It was a 1693 and 65k rears. Too bad it doesn’t have planetary rears. When you have a need for them you love em. When they sit, as they often do, they turn to ****!
More C500 info please.
It was a 74 (give or take a year) 1693, Allison auto, 1241C aux, 65k rears, Braden winch. At one point in its life it was a Hodges truck then it went to WI where Manesis had it then I got it. Jospeh Equipment bought it from me a few years ago. Great site truck.
By the axle ends and being Top Loaders ex-GI 6x rears. Definitely Rockwell.
Notice the big pattern budds on the front axle? Looks like 22" rubber, could be 24". Worked on some Autocars with those all the way around. The tire guys had to borrow my 15/16" square socket and the 1-3/4" hex socket all the time. They were too cheap to put a set in all of their trucks.
Yeppers big pattern. She was a stout old truck. Didn’t want it rotting into the ground so when a good offer came along I sold it.
Yep. Parts were getting scarce for them. Last small ring and pinion I found was $2,700 and that was 2011-12.
I notice it had Vickers Power Ram assist steering, actually pretty common in those days. About the only way to keep the old stuff running is to buy up any and every thing laying around. Then come up with a place to store it. Finding a shop including Cat that can successfully and properly rebuild a 3406 mechanical pump anymore is a real task in it's self.
Yes it did and we had issues with the cylinders at one point. I’ve got space for the stuff but not the need for the trucks I once had. Crazy thing is I’ve got half a 40’ container full of parts for the 63 Autocar. One of these days lol
Awesome truck junkyard. Would love to have a rig with a 1693
I have one, come get it!
I’ll bite...whatcha got?
Any of you guys priced a head recently for a 1693?
Not for a long time. I had stumbled across a couple used engines a year or two ago that were reasonably priced and running. Hard to beat their sound though.....
For sound, a 1693 is prolly my absolute favorite
are they even still available ?
Fabick FOUND and sold a reman to a old friend in St.Charles for a Show truck, he gave $15000 for it as was shipped in from somewhere OFF continent, his old one did NOT core out. BTW NO Cams with it.
New - $6.5k in round numbers...….and that does NOT include valves and other bits & bobs. They are available because the same Part Number also fits most variants of the D343 and D348.
No one said anything of where that Mochine sits, Savannah River Project, likely hauled Radioactive waste loads around in HUGE containers, hopefully does not glow in the dark. Zoomed in as far as could on Rear sidewall, Goodyears, appear to be 24 tube type on Three Piece Firestones ICK!!!
The truth is on that 1982 Autocar from the looks of it is worth about what the value of tires holding it up are. Really it looks rough-rode hard and put away wet. IMO
Agreed. Last look I had it was at the top of the mark value wise. We bid a site job and when their safety guy got done with his list for Baby Huey I about fell over. I don’t think a new truck would pass! Everything is such a pain these days.
someone wants it bids at 9000 and reserve not met
I would have bid five hundred bucks for it to make a road change machine out of but that is it.
I've got a D 343 in my Skagit. The kicker is you got to take the whole machine! LOL
Hell thats a sweet deal lol. I’m sure I could adapt that to my timber recycling operation lol
The price of repairing that Cummins KT is enough alone to put you in the poor house. About 12 years ago I was asked to look at a Massey 1150 wheel tractor for a buyer, It had 11,000 hrs on it. I told the guy wanting it get in your pickup and drive off. Nope he just had to have it. While running it off the lowboy at his farm it dropped a valve, $44,000 later it was running, then the finals took a dump.
** 1150 has a V-8 Perkins. Versatile 1150 has a Cummins.
Sorry Welder Dave but Massey did build the 1150 with the KTA 600, With the Massey the 1150 is the Cu.In. displacement, massey was so proud of it at the time because it had the most HP {600} that could be bought of the lot of any wheel tractor made at the time.
You might be thinking of a different tractor. The ** 1150 only came with the 8.3 Perkins. It was only a 2wd row crop machine.
Versatile were red and looked similar to a Massey and made in Winnipeg Manitoba. Massey had the highest PTO (190) H.P. 2 wheel drive tractor for while with the 2805 with a 640 V-8 Perkins. I saw a Versatile 1150 up close at auction years ago. It was huge. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/8/3/832-massey-ferguson-1150.html http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/3/6/1362-versatile-1150-engine.html
Well lets see, I live in dry land wheat country in Walla Walla, Wa. I know what a Steiger looks like I know what a Versatile looks like, Not to mention I can read. The side of the Massey said 1150 and it had a KTA 600 in it. Plus there were four of us looking at it with the farmer selling it, and two of those people are dead now. Now I don't want to get into some argument over a john barley corn piece of equipment. But I will see about contacting the guy who bought that pile and see if he had photos of it. And for some other trivia, There were more D4, D5 and D6 cats sold through out the Palouse than any other place period.
You’ve got me interested in that Massey now truck stop. Were the D5 and D6 cats popular on farms in your area because of the hilly terrain?
A lot of Massey Ferguson 4xxx series tractors (4900, 4880, etc) came with a Cummins VT903 set at 320hp +/-. As the 903's puked out, a lot of farmers repowered with various other engines,mostly in the 14 L size. Big cam Cummins and 3406 Cats were popular re-fits with a lot of these repowers also boosting the HP of the tractor. This has been discussed a bit over on newagtalk forum a few times and a guy that goes by "onion farmer" from southeast Washington says he owned a KTA 1150 powered ** 4900 with 12,000 hours that puked a trans. Could be the same tractor you saw Truck Stop , or not. He doesn't list what town he's from in Washington, just says Southeast area. It would certainly be a unique tractor with that big Powerplant stuffed in it. https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=380460&DisplayType=flat&setCookie=1
The 4900 was the biggest Massey tractor at 375 H.P. with a VT903 and they later became the Agcostar 8425 at 425 H.P. with a Detroit 60 series or Cummins N14. Original design was from McConnell. A repowered MF4000 series could have had an 1150 cu. in. Cummins. They were heavy built tractors. It appears the tractor you saw may have been the same one Colson04 mentions above.
It is the same Tractor. I know the guy who owned it. It was repowered with the KTA and had custom 1150 logos on it when I saw it. He failed to state that it dropped a valve in that thread on agtalk. He said it would confuse because it was a 4900. So you are correct Welder Dave. That tractor is now somewhere in Utah, But several had been converted to that big power.
Guy north of here has a 79 Pete STILL for sale with a KTA in it, just at 700,000 since last overhaul and PROUD of his little money pit, asking $24,000 as is.
The KT's were I suppose a great engine for their time but there has been so many engines with smaller displacement built that produce better torque and hp at lower rpm's. Just a set of valve train components like cam followers, cam, cylinder heads and rockers are a fortune in cost in rebuilding a KTA. Plus the KTA is a heavy engine in a road truck.
Most of the ground around here is so steep a wheel tractor is useless although there were wheel tractors used in the flatter areas. Every year someone rolls a combine, some still farm with crawlers but most had gone rubber band years ago. And even at that because of the steep ground most rubber band tractors run jakes same with wheel tractors.
Dang. Definitely never been around anything like that
Impressive recall colson! 2013, I would remember reading it... somewhere.
Thanks to Colson04 for clearing up the confusion.
Actually thanks to both Welder Dave and Colson04 for straightening that out. What I said above about it being **'s buy it off the lot with 600 hp was his sales pitch at the time we were looking at it. The Onion Farmer now runs and operates a ** dealership here in town and is quite the talker.
My late mother (lapsed Catholic) had a saying for people like that - "He says everything but his prayers, and them he whistles"....
Never seen a Allison in a k100 before. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3408-Cat-1...381209?hash=item2885e9c259:g:GaAAAOSwSnRdR35f
It was a quite common transmission in a lot of class 8 trucks. I used to run with a local guy that was a polio victim and had a left leg that wasn't much use, he ran a Pete cabover with a 12V71T and an Alison. You didn't drag race that truck. Knew another fleet of IH cabovers with 8V92's and Allison HT 750's. Even knew of a White road commander cabover with an 8V92 and an Allison HT 740 (4sd) with 2 spd Eaton rears. The list can go on of the ones I've seen and worked on. also, there was a heavy haul outfit nearby that had 2 GMC Astros with 12V71's with Allisons that were used as push trucks for the big lowboy.
Most if mot ALL the Utility tractors of the last 15 years where I worked were Allison equipped, They had COE Non sleeper Navistar and Freightliner cabs. Had to, to negotiate City streets and alleys.