Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1984 Caterpillar R80 forklift:

1693TA ยท 2020-07-25 18:41

Good afternoon. I have the aforementioned forklift with a very tired 4.236 Perkins diesel engine. It runs well but uses, and leaks oil pretty well. I do plan to rebuild the engine but even before it was worn out it was lacking for power at times. A replacement used and complete T4.236 engine was purchased from a Caterpillar 436 backhoe that needed rebuilt also from the prior owner not keeping the exhaust covered and water/insects building nests internally and locked it up basically. Upon disassembly, I found two cylinder liners stress cracked from freezing. The trouble is this engine is a "stress block" type which I'd never heard of prior where the forklift engine is not. The forklift engine is an "LD" engine series, the backhoe an "LJ". I have a 4.236 engine in my Hyster forklift and although the same size, it does not have the cylinder block "boss" which is drilled and tapped for the turbocharger oil supply line. I have yet another 4.236 engine which is a spare for the Hyster forklift and it has the "boss" mentioned earlier, but is not drilled and tapped for an oil supply line. Think I've covered the basics at this point so the questions I'm asking are there any differences in oil pumps, or galleries used in the "LJ" series engines differing from the "LD" series? Also can I use the parts for the turbocharged "LJ" series bolted onto the "LD" series block? All parts on the turbocharged engine measure up good and the engine was rebuilt at some point. Once I removed the insect nest from cylinder #2, I was able to rotate the engine through 360 effortlessly. All bearings and such measure up well within spec's so If I can use the hard parts in a donor "LD" series block that is not a "stress block" variant, I'd be set. Having no experience with Perkins engines myself, and discovering this "stress block" ordeal has pushed the engine change back a few months but I would like to get it resolved this fall after harvest. Thanks for any help.

Replies1
  1. #11693TA2020-07-26 13:57

    Short answer is the spare "LD" series engine block for my Hyster forklift is readily convertible to use with a turbocharger setup. However the better option is to obtain a cylinder block with the same casting numbers and build into it utilizing the parts from the "LJ" series build engine. This way I don't have to disassemble a fresh engine. Now having casting numbers to work from, the going should be easier. Thanks,