Looking for more info on this engine. Haven’t found much online. Truck is a IH paystar 5000 with a pt240 and 8ll Have found out it has a good torque rating for its age but was wondering can it be turned into a 270 or does it not have piston oil coolers so it shouldn’t be turned up? Thanks
Are you maybe talking about an L10 engine with a PT pump, at 240hp? There are so many variations available from Cummins, you'll have to post the CPL number off the engine, and somebody can look it up.
Cpl is 497 ff 208. Model pt240ffc. Engine s/n 27197669
I show it as an NTC 240. It has a born on date of 06/96 . Someone must have swapped it out if it's in an 84.
The truck is a 1984 the tag on the engine says 1986 I wrote it wrong. It’s a recon as the tag says
When it comes to CPLs I don't know which can be upgraded to what. Might wanna reach out to Truckshop. He's up on what you can and can't do.
Leave it alone-for starters. Not a good engine to turn up.
It has a lot more power than our 1979 international with a dt466. It will be used as a silage truck
Cummins built that engine two ways with or without piston coolers, plus it is a higher compression engine. Sounds like enough power for a silage truck.
One more question. I doubt I would do this but say you had all the parts, could you add a jake brake to this engine?
Yes
in my opinion, 240 in a tandem silage truck with a 20ft box( assumed), in soft ground, with that transmission, it will be marginal. in my opinion i would make better use of the power i have. i would suggest maybe changing to a 13spd or better yet, an automatic. i've never driven an 8LL but if its similar to a 9(which i drove briefly) in a louisville 9000- it was a real dog and it had a 425 cat. lots of power but loaded without jakes you couldn't build enough momentum to upshift. but then again, we were going for maximum production with several trucks on a 4 mile haul
Just thought of one more question about the transmission. It’s a 8ll, when you put it in reverse you can tell it isn’t going in all the way and pops out when you back up. Now if I put it in high it will go into reverse and stay and if I go from high reverse back to low reverse it goes in and stays like it should. Possible bent shift fork I’m thinking? From some research I’ve done I may be able to tell if I take the top cover of the transmission?
Comparing it to our 1979 ih with a 18ft silage body, dt466 and 13 speed it has way more power. I think it will be ok with the 8ll but could swap the 13 speed into it as the other truck is for parts now
IMO I would drop the drive axle ratio a tad from what it is now.
Hey did you see my last reply? Was wondering what you thought of the tranny not going into reverse all the way in low. Appreciate all the knowledge from you guys!!
If it makes a complete shift in high then in low it works also, I doubt a shift fork is the problem. Could be any number of issues without being there to see what's taking place and listening to the air shift it's about as far as I can go-Does the shift lever jump out of gear?
Yes the shift lever pops out of gear, you can tell it isn’t going all the way into reverse Like it should
Three things-Slop fore and aft in the main shaft-Slop in the rear main shaft support bearing, Worn sliding clutch teeth and worn clutching teeth on reverse gear. All those parts combined can cause that issue. Plus when shifted to high it puts forward thrust on the main shaft and rear support bearing. It takes a bunch to bend a shift fork-it can happen but it's not that common. Takes a real meat head in the seat to bend a shift fork in the front shift bar housing.
So I’ve been working on replacing axle and power divider seals and forgot where a big washer goes now. I can’t seem to remover nor can I tell where it went. Maybe someone who has done it before knows. I think they are Rockwell rears, 65,000 I’ve been told
Need a photo of that drive and power divider. The washer probably goes between yoke and nut. That front bearing retainer doesn't look like Rockwell to me. Did you run the last 8 numbers of vin with International so they could tell you what drive axles you have.
Some reason I thought I saw Rockwell on the axle. Maybe not.
That looks like a RA-472 International drive IIRC.
Are you saying have the washer like it is in the pictures with the nut on top as well? The washer is oily as if it’s been inside somewhere.
That washer looks like a shim which is in the exploded view in this link. part #66 on page 90. http://partsmanuals.org/internation...tional-RA472-front-rear-axle-parts-manual.pdf Make sure and remove the fill plug on the top of the power divider cover and put about two quarts in there of gear oil.