Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1984 Ford F600 Dump Box Grain Truck V8

Peter23 · 2024-05-05 17:03

I am hoping to bid at an auction on this dump truck. I currently use a 98 gmc c65 automatic with cat 3601 diesel and I am not impressed I got stuck twice or maybe it's just the ground is too soft yet. I used to have a international loadstar with a 5 speed you couldn't get stuck even if you tried. Please share the good and bad about this F600. Hibid pennerauctions.hibid.com

Replies6
  1. #1Steve Frazier2024-05-05 17:40

    It's an L-600, not F600. There's pages on Facebook dedicated to the series that might help you source parts. I know from reading they're getting more scarce. Tires don't look like they'll pass inspection, too many cracks in the sidewalls. It appears to have been a highway department truck, if it's been exposed to salt you're going to want to look under it real good for rust. I see it's about to pop through some of the sheetmetal. I have a lot of miles in the Ford L series and was real fond of them. They were very pleasant to drive with excellent visibility and maneuverability. If it's solid I think you'll be happy with it but it's going to em[ty your wallet with fuel cost.

  2. #2cuttin edge2024-05-05 20:10

    Gas job. 361? To me the hood and dash look older than 1984. I know this is an LN, and seems to have a newer transmission, but I thought Ford switched to this dash after 74.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2024-05-05 21:34

    cuttin edge, that's the 9000 model. The lighter duty models had a slightly different dash.

  4. #456wrench2024-05-06 10:08

    In my opinion, too much rear overhang. With a load, it will be too heavy on the rear axle. The box is about 2’ too long. Should be a 370 or 429 Lima engine. Should be an Allison MT653. With a checkerplate box floor, nothing will slide out of it very well

  5. #5funwithfuel2024-05-06 10:57

    370 lima, good luck, can't keep exhaust manifolds sealed. TFIC IV ignition probably. Distributor was always corroded. Governor beneath carb would always suck air, limit power and just cause grief. JMHO

  6. #6cuttin edge2024-05-06 17:58

    Ok. Fella my father worked for had a 73. It was a gas job with a 5 speed, a 74 with a triple nickel Cummins and a ten speed. They had that L600 dash, then his 75 went to the dash I pictured above, He had a 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 82, and an 84, the he had 2 LTLs but can't remember what year they were. The 74 had a steel gravel box, the rest were aluminum boxes, and some hauled dump trailers. They used to haul fish from here to Rockland Maine. Later on, they went to plastic fish tubs on flat beds