Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1984 JD 610B circuit

CoastalDefense ยท 2017-12-06 15:55

Good afternoon! First- thanks to everyone for helping us along the way. I've used this forum a ton doing research, and working on my JD 610B. By using the search function both here, and online, you have guided me through many a small issue. However- I am now stumped, and need guidance if anyone has insight. I have ALL the manuals in print for this machine. Operators manual, repair manual, owners guide, and TM's. To include all the pull outs with diagrams. That being said, if I can help another person who might need specific pages, I'd be glad to help if I can. My issue does not reside within the pages of the manual as far as I can tell. I have gone through nearly each and every page trying to resolve this prior to my first post. This tractor was a rental at some point, and looks like she spent some time digging in the Atlantic Ocean due to the copious amounts of rust. I'm having an issue with the transmission, more specifically, circuit 3. According to the TM's, we exhibit all the characteristics of losing C3. No 1-5th gear. Following the repair manual, it leads me to believe we have a C3 failure. I cannot, however, find the damn thing!! Tracing the hydraulic lines around the machine, there is very little to let me know if it's an electric circuit, or hydraulic. Is it external, or internal? If anyone has experience with these 610 or 710 circuitry, I would greatly appreciate any advise, or input on finding the darn thing. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2017-12-06 23:53

    Are you looking at TM1446 or equivalent Operations and Test Technical Manual? The diagrams and test procedure are clear enough, you just need to compare what is on the page to what is on your machine. 9020-05 1-6 C3 failure should cause the loss of 1-4 and 7 forward with 5,6, 8 forward and all the reverses still working. All the transmission brakes and clutches are inside the transmission case. The hose for C3 goes into the back of the transmission, the bearing carrier specifically, it goes into the output shaft which has a steal sealing ring, through the shaft to the piston that actuates C3. So there's some easier places for the pressure to leak off besides a blown/burnt clutch pack.

  2. #2CoastalDefense2017-12-07 15:16

    Yes sir. I downloaded the TM1446, and a few weeks later, the prior owner brought me all the hard bound manuals. This way, I can search them if I'm at home (because everyone likes to read tech manuals at home), or have the hard bound on the job site. You have answered the question with what I was afraid of. If the C3 circuit is actually inside the transmission, and not an exterior solenoid, then my worst fears have come true. The amount of rust eating the machine away makes transmission removal a huge chore. Like, cutting out the floor to access the area, as the bolts and half the floor have been repaired with a welded in plate. I changed the transmission filter screen a few months back, and had a significant amount of clutch friction plates packed inside the screen. It prevented the machine from moving after about 3 minutes of operation. I believe it's going to have to be rebuilt, but was hoping for an easier way. Transmissions are NOT my thing. Honestly, I could rebuild a diesel engine with one hand, and my eyes closed. But, the transmission is as foreign as brain surgery to me. We never had 1-4, 7, have 5/6, may or may not have 8, I don't remember. We only have 3rd in reverse. Working through the TM prior to delivery of the machine, the troubleshooting section led me to suspect C3 being the culprit. However, after seeing the clutch plates disintegrated in the screen, I think we're in for an uphill battle. We do not own the correct gauges for pressure bleed down testing, as shown in the books. So, I was taking the best educated guess I could, by following the fluid routes, and hoping it was an external solenoid. You ought to see me load the tractor onto my gooseneck in 5th gear..... Takes a running start, with cohones the size of basketballs. Sounds like we're in for a trans rebuild. Anyone done one themselves, or choke it up and pay the shop? Again, thank you for your time. Hearing that the circuit is actually inside the trans doesn't make me feel better, but at least I'm not missing something obvious.

  3. #3Delmer2017-12-07 22:49

    Only having 3rd in reverse with 5 and 6 working in forward doesn't make sense to me based on which clutches and brakes operate in which speeds. You might want to do the diagnostics before tearing it apart. I wouldn't let rust scare you away, once you get it all pressure washed clean the cast iron isn't bothered nearly as much by salt as sheet metal, especially a transmission case. The transmission isn't that complicated, and the parts are available at least. Pay a shop? it'll probably be cheaper to find a different backhoe. Get one with a torque converter next time, a torque converter that works.

  4. #4CoastalDefense2017-12-07 23:08

    Amazon has a few parts listed. I think I'll start putting together a parts list. At least I'll have something to keep me busy through the cold season.

  5. #5CoastalDefense2017-12-07 23:08