Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1984 jd 640 transmission problem

Branson1822 · 2024-02-22 15:40

OK this is my first post here so any help would be appreciated. I have a 1984 John Deere 640 and ran perfect no problems shifted fine. Everything was fine finished The job went back a couple weeks later to get the skidder to move to the next job and I have no gears, lost all the gears, it jerks when you put it in gear but no gears i check the filter check the screen checked the fuild level but still nothing. Thanks again for any help.

Replies73
  1. #1mg23612024-02-23 05:32

    Welcome to HEF Branson ! Is the clutch disconnect engaged? That would be the lever under your main clutch pedal, IIRC.

  2. #2Branson18222024-02-23 09:27

    No it’s not I pulled motor thinking that something happen there but it is fine

  3. #3Diesel Dave2024-02-23 10:58

    Maybe an issue with the inching pedal linkage (roll pin #1 may have sheared) or sticking internal valve at the transmission clutch valve. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/66805/referrer/navigation/pgId/5959 . .

  4. #4Branson18222024-02-23 11:31

    Ok thanks I’ll take a look I just thought it’s weird that is was fine and then all the gears went

  5. #5Branson18222024-02-23 14:44

    can I check the pressure here

  6. #6Diesel Dave2024-02-23 16:35

    Yes. Clutch, brake engagement chart below. .

  7. #7Branson18222024-02-23 16:44

    thank you I’m assuming where it says just for example 1st forward and then it got an X c one and XB one and an XC3 check all three of them separately while in first gear I’m assuming that’s what I’m supposed to do

  8. #8Branson18222024-02-23 16:45

    Also, do you know what the pressures are supposed to be? Thanks again for your help

  9. #9Diesel Dave2024-02-23 17:10

    175-185 psi.

  10. #10Branson18222024-02-23 17:14

    Ok thank you very much

  11. #11Branson18222024-02-26 12:59

    OK, so do I check the two I have circled for pressure or I think there’s four of them on the bottom of it. I’m just getting around to checking.

  12. #12Diesel Dave2024-02-26 16:19
  13. #13Diesel Dave2024-02-26 16:24

    Not sure if you are able to physically reach the transmission clutch valve. There is a test port marked “ CLUTCH “. The port is regulated pressure after the transmission pump. 175-185 psi.… .

  14. #14Branson18222024-02-26 16:35

    Ok thank you that’s a big help

  15. #15Branson18222024-02-26 16:36

    Last question and I won’t bug you no more shift valve position up down What does that exactly mean? Sorry the transmission thing new to me.

  16. #16Diesel Dave2024-02-26 16:57

    The chart is showing the various shift valve position combinations to direct the pressure oil to the required clutch and or brake packs for the selected gear… . Interested to see the results of the pressure tests.

  17. #17Branson18222024-02-26 18:27

    Yea me to I’ll let you know tomorrow. I didn’t have the right fitting for my gauge

  18. #18Branson18222024-02-26 21:52

    Do I check with brake on or off and clutch in or out

  19. #19Diesel Dave2024-02-26 22:24

    Brake off, clutch pedal out. Under normal operation with the clutch valve in , the pressure is cut off to clutches C1 and C2.

  20. #20Branson18222024-03-11 11:02

    OK finally got around to testing on first gear forward. It only had 21 pounds second gear forward was zero that’s C one seventh gear zero first gear reverse 0 second gear reverse zero but if you’d rev them up, you’d get up about 40 pounds and I only tested C1 on them didn’t figure I need to go any further seeings how I’m not getting anything, what do you think it is?

  21. #21Diesel Dave2024-03-11 11:44

    I would do what ever it takes to check the pressure at the “clutch“ port shown on the clutch valve. The clutch valve controls the pressure at C1 and C2. Check the pressure with the pedal up ,neutral or any gear. Should be 175-185 at the clutch port at approx 1900 rpm.

  22. #22Branson18222024-03-11 15:22

    It is at 5 pounds if you, Revit 50 that’s in gear and clutch out clutch in is zero

  23. #23Branson18222024-03-11 15:22

    That wasn’t fun to get to

  24. #24Diesel Dave2024-03-11 16:38

    Any blade and or steering function performance issues ?

  25. #25Branson18222024-03-11 16:44

    No it all works winch works also

  26. #26Diesel Dave2024-03-11 17:41

    Sounds like the transmission pump is ok if the blade ,steering and winch operate normally . Remove and check the condition of the pressure regulator spring #22 in the transmission pressure regulating valve housing. see screenshot below. Also check that the valve moves freely. .

  27. #27Branson18222024-03-11 18:00

    The that where I checked the clutch pressure and do I have to remove it to get to the spring

  28. #28Branson18222024-03-11 18:25

    Also is there anywhere else I should look besides there

  29. #29Diesel Dave2024-03-11 19:01

    The pressure regulator valve housing is below the clutch (inching) valve. If the regulator spring and valve proves ok , double check that the clutch (inching) pedal is returning all the way to the top of the stroke. If the pedal and linkage look ok , I think the next step would be to remove and inspect the internals of the clutch (inching) valve.

  30. #30Branson18222024-03-11 19:20

    Ok thank you I will let you know I sure do appreciate it

  31. #31Branson18222024-03-15 10:47

    I took out the spring in the valve spring was good valve moves good. Everything looked good in that little spot. The pedal is doing what it’s supposed to do also

  32. #32Diesel Dave2024-03-15 11:27

    I know I suggested this in my first post but….double and triple check for a solid connection between the valve operating arm and the shaft on the clutch (inching) valve. Check with a mirror if need be. Screenshot below. If everything proves ok , at this point I think next step would be to remove and inspect the internals of the clutch ( inching) valve. .

  33. #33Branson18222024-03-15 15:02

    Ok I’ll check it again to be sure if it’s good am I just checking the springs and passages in the valve

  34. #34Branson18222024-03-15 15:04

    I also checked the pressure again just to be sure and it was getting about 70 pounds

  35. #35Diesel Dave2024-03-15 15:36

    Yes, see screenshot below. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/66805/referrer/navigation/pgId/5959 . .

  36. #36Branson18222024-03-15 15:45

    Ok thank you and I will let you know what I fine. I hope I find something thing is driving me crazy and I need it on the job site

  37. #37Diesel Dave2024-03-15 16:05

    Sucks to have a machine down with absolutely no warning. FYI, the free length of springs , +/- .03 inch . R33173 2.0 inches . R33174 1.3 inches . R33175 .5 inch .

  38. #38Branson18222024-03-15 20:06

    Ok thank you the one I took out today was much longer than that is that correct

  39. #39Diesel Dave2024-03-15 22:18

    Spring # T60314 free length is 5.61 inches . https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/66805/referrer/navigation/pgId/5732 . .

  40. #40Branson18222024-03-16 09:43

    Thats what it was thanks

  41. #41Branson18222024-03-20 15:30

    I pulled the clutch valve off and the valve and spring that works with the clutch pedal seems fine but the one beside it not sure what it’s called. It’s real catchy and slides really hard.

  42. #42Diesel Dave2024-03-20 16:14

    What key # are you referring to ? https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/66805/referrer/navigation/pgId/5959 . See screenshot shot below. .

  43. #43Branson18222024-03-20 16:49

    The one that the file was pointing at it, slide super rough, and it was hard to get out of there

  44. #44Branson18222024-03-20 16:51

    It just has a single spring on the end of it

  45. #45Branson18222024-03-20 22:09

    I believe number 7 and 8 is it

  46. #46Diesel Dave2024-03-20 22:59

    Are you able to clean everything and free up the sticky valve ?

  47. #47Diesel Dave2024-03-21 14:40

    Is there a casting number on that housing ?

  48. #48Branson18222024-03-21 17:52

    I’ll go look

  49. #49Branson18222024-03-21 18:11

    I couldn’t find any but I took some pictures of both housing for you

  50. #50Branson18222024-03-21 18:12

    This is the clutch

  51. #51Branson18222024-03-21 18:13

    Still clutch

  52. #52Branson18222024-03-21 18:15

    This is the other housing

  53. #53Branson18222024-03-21 18:16

    Just a picture of where it came from

  54. #54Diesel Dave2024-03-21 18:22

    Were you able to free up the sticky valve in the clutch valve ?

  55. #55Branson18222024-03-21 18:26

    I think so well they still be a little grabby since the have the prong on them or should they be smooth

  56. #56Branson18222024-03-21 18:26

    Will

  57. #57Diesel Dave2024-03-21 18:43

    Polish the valve and clean the bore in the housing as best you can . The valve should slide smooth in the bore.

  58. #58Branson18222024-03-21 18:50

    Ok is there anything else there I need to be looking for

  59. #59Diesel Dave2024-03-21 18:56

    What was sticking up the valve ? rust, dirt or something else?

  60. #60Branson18222024-03-21 19:46

    I really didn’t see anything looks like as little wear on a couple valves

  61. #61Branson18222024-03-22 13:29

    I cleaned up everything polished everything everything was put back together and still the same problem

  62. #62Diesel Dave2024-03-22 17:15

    I think you need to flow test the transmission pump. It will be a verification that the pump is capable of producing 180 psi. New pump spec at 1500 rpm is 11.5 GPM (minimum) at 180 psi. Used pump spec at 1500 rpm is 10.5 GPM (minimum) at 180 psi. Deere uses a fancy tool to put in place of the transmission filter element, see below. .

  63. #63Branson18222024-03-22 17:43

    How would you do it without the tool

  64. #64Diesel Dave2024-03-22 18:02

    Not sure.

  65. #65Branson18222024-03-22 18:09

    Ok I’ll see what I can come up with. There’s not really much more that could be wrong is there?

  66. #66Diesel Dave2024-03-22 18:43

    Just need to try and confirm or eliminate the transmission pump as the source of the problem.

  67. #67Branson18222024-03-22 20:14

    Ok will do thanks again

  68. #68Branson18222024-07-04 17:02

    Hey sorry it’s took me so long to get back my mom passed away and we had are little girl and she was in children’s hospital for awhile so not been fun. But the skidder tricked me good over looked the problem many times it ended up being a forward and reverse linkage how I never noticed I’ll never know but thanks for all the help

  69. #69Diesel Dave2024-07-04 20:58

    I’m sorry to hear of your personal issues. Glad you got the skidder up and running.

  70. #70Branson18222024-07-05 12:09

    Thank you for all your hell again

  71. #71mg23612024-07-07 06:38

    Dave was more than happy to give you grief! Oh, wait, that's not what you meant

  72. #72jimmyyaple2025-02-20 20:24

    Did you ever find out what the problem is? My skidder doing the exact same thing. Same skidder

  73. #73reganj2025-02-21 21:34

    Read post 069