Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1985 130G Engine Oil

PWR ยท 2014-03-18 21:04

We recently purchased a 1985 130G. Not sure what kind of engine oil is in it or what has been used over the years. Old service manual shows CD/TO-2 30W oil. Question is: Would it hurt the engine to change to 15W40 oil assuming it is not already filled with 15W40? We are located in southeast Texas.

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2014-03-19 07:07

    The Service Manual appears to have changed since your (paper one I assume) was printed. The latest recommendation for engine oil in the on-line manual is 10W30 for ambient temperatures between -4 & 100 DegF and 15W40 for ambient temperatures between 5 & 122 DegF.

  2. #2PWR2014-03-19 09:24

    Nige, did you find the Service Manual online? All I have is an old one purchased off of EBay. Looks like the 15W40 will be fine. We do not quite make 122 DegF but we get close. Thanks for the help.

  3. #3Nige2014-03-19 10:19

    I have access to the Caterpillar on-line Service Information System (SIS) because I work for a big Cat customer. It's a bit spendy for an individual user - about $1000/year subscription.