Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1985 John Deere 310b fuel issue

Colin.16 · 2024-08-28 17:33

I have a 1985 John Deere 310b, I had the injector pump rebuilt, now I have an issue where after running a few minutes, it will start to develop air bubbles in the fuel filter bowl, which will cause it to die. Once the air bubbles are gone it will start up again. With the engine off I can’t see any fuel leaking from the suction side line from the tank to the lift pump. Could it be water in the fuel? A small puncture in the suction line that won’t leak out, but will suck air in? I’ve tried running with the cap off to rule out tank venting and completely cleared the return line to the tank, there is no return line back to the fuel filter housing.

Replies7
  1. #1cosmaar12024-08-28 18:00

    Sucking air somewhere. Are you sure everything is right and tight?

  2. #2Diesel Dave2024-08-28 20:21

    Welcome to HEF Colin . There is a fuel filter screen (assuming it is still there) just before the outlet in the tank. Could be partially plugged.Take the line off at the fuel transfer pump inlet make sure there is a good consistent stream of fuel . .

  3. #3Colin.162024-08-29 08:12

    Thanks for the info I will check that filter this weekend.

  4. #4Colin.162024-08-29 08:12

    Once I check the filter at the bottom of the tank I will go back through to ensure everything is nice and tight.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2024-08-29 20:51

    Depending on which mdl pump u have, the inlet fitting has an oring on it that seals against the “nose cone”.. that will suck air and not drip fuel..

  6. #6Colin.162024-10-04 14:10

    The inlet to the transfer pump near the filter?

  7. #7thepumpguysc2024-10-04 14:41

    Injection pump..