Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1985 komatsu d31a-17

bigmike540 · 2025-12-18 15:19

Recently purchased a good little dozer that sat for sometime As I’ve been using it I’ve noticed that the injection pump nozzles I think there called are leaking (The 4 lines that feed the fuel that are on top of the pump) What’s a good place to source this parts And any unknown I need to be worried about Thanks in advance

Replies12
  1. #1epirbalex2025-12-19 15:51

    Can you give us a picture of just where the leaks are ? Left hand tilt on the PAPT blades seem to be an issue lol

  2. #2bigmike5402025-12-19 17:59

    The 4 to the right on top of the injection pump That has the locks I assume on them That’s where the hard lines go to Thank you This is a random pic I got off line but mines looks the same I haven’t took imines apart Hoping I can just remove those 4 while it’s still installed

  3. #3Simon C2025-12-19 18:24

    Those 4 fittings on the top of the pump that have the locks are stopping the serrated marks that you can see from turning. That is the pump phasing from what I have been told and if it moves has to go back on a pump stand. If I am wrong Pumpguysc can correct me, If you are looking to replace the fuel lines that thread onto them , they will be from Komatsu or maybe aftermarket if you have the part numbers or from an Injection Repair Shop. Simon C

  4. #4epirbalex2025-12-19 18:54

    If that pump is put together much the same as mine , they can't be repaired on the tractor . Those nozzles are the tops of the plungers . If the diesel is leaking up past the base of the plunger its a job for a specialist .If its pulled out then poked back in what can happen is the bottom seal will no reseal unless replaced and if that pump is lubed by the engine oil diesel leaks into it . When its all reassembled it will need to be put on a bench mount with a drive unit and each plunger set to deliver just the right amount per stroke . Cost me a bit 2 years ago . If you are going to remove the pump yourself there are things you need to do to have an easy reinstall .

  5. #5bigmike5402025-12-19 19:02

    Ok I appreciate that I guess I’ll need to replace the pump It seem to be leaking from around those but I will verify It’s not a bad leak but I’d hate to have a fire lol I appreciate your response and help

  6. #6Simon C2025-12-19 19:02

    Yes if pulling the pump don't do it until you have the pump timing figured out first, not after or could be difficult.

  7. #7epirbalex2025-12-19 19:13

    I've been through this and eventually found it was better to have the one I had repaired . If you have taken off the fuel lines cover the end of the plungers with caps or taped up well .

  8. #8bigmike5402025-12-20 08:34

    Thank you guys I guess I’ll be dropping it off at a shop lol It runs and pushes great with no other issues so no need to create any I appreciate you guys Happy Holidays to all

  9. #9Simon C2025-12-20 09:32

    Better take pictures of your pump and ask Fuel repair shop if parts are still available for that pump. May be obsolete now. Happened to me 2 years ago on a same vintage and after 1 month found one piece hiding in England, no more to be found in the world. Mine was a 6 cylinder version. Good picture of serial numbers on pump will tell all. Simon C

  10. #10James Sorochan2025-12-20 12:59

    When I had my injection pump rebuilt on my Komatsu D57S track loader the rebuild shop had a hard time locating the parts to do it. The price reflected that because they spent many hours chasing parts all over the world to do it.

  11. #11Simon C2025-12-20 13:13

    They charged us a couple thousand more than regular to do 3 pumps, but said no more parts in the world. That is the reality of 1985 or older stuff. Simon C

  12. #12Simon C2025-12-20 13:17

    If you can wrap with diapers or whatever, be mindful that the fuel shop if they disassemble may not be able to reassemble. That would mean you own then a boat anchor. I would use as is or sell and upgrade if they tell you from the pictures of serial numbers that parts no longer available. Dot your I's and cross your T's or you will regret. Simon C