Does anyone know the part# or a source for the C.V. joint at the base of the steering column shaft? I believe all L series have this same joint but not having any luck finding one. Thanks for any info, Greg
Tried truckpartsinventory? https://truckpartsinventory.com/steering-shafts-parts May not do any good. Is it a true CV or a u-joint style? The old PTO size u-joints worked on the older trucks.
Yeah it's a true CV joint, if it was a standard u-joint like most other trucks it would be no big deal. I ended up cleaning it up, greasing it and getting a CV boot for a ATV to fit, it has minor play in it. I also tightened the steering column bearings and replaced u-joints in steering shaft. That took out tons of play. Inspection report just said "it looks loose" not a safety concern in my books. It passed inspection so it's good for another 6 months haha! Thanks
Maybe time to upgrade!!
Hah! I keep telling this rancher that exact thing, he's owned the truck since new, used to be a hwy tractor hauling cattle, must have had too many good memories in the sleeper when he was younger! It's had dump truck duty past 15 years, I have to say these old Fords are built tough! Just a shame parts are so hard to come by..
I think I know where there's one they are parting out- if your interested in used.